Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal strange behavior in the water

Nutriasub

I have used my "used" excal 800 on the beach with no problems, and worked great, but then I went into the water, with the same exact setting and it started going crazy, giving a lot of tones all the time, turned down the sens, even put it on auto, and still the same results. Then I swicht to pinpoint mode and it run a little smoother, but still gives a lot of signals. I dived with it for about two hours, and went it gets a target it gives a good signal, clear. After getting the target goes back to a lot of different noises.
What's going on?
Am I doing something wrong?
My set up is disc 1 , sens on the first third of the dial, volume all the way up.
Thanks

This thread might interest you.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,1746600,1749748#msg-1749748

HH an GL. -Joe

Hope excall is good.

Either you've got sand/salt water sloshing around in between the coil cover making it false, or you've got a short on the cable somewhere, or you are picking up very strong EMI at that location. Final possibility is the electronics in the POD have a problem. Did you try it at another location to see if the instability goes away? If it doesn't, then start wigging the cable and flexing it starting at the coil and work your way up to the pod. If it gets worse or stops at a certain spot on the cable then you've got a short right there.

Ok, I checked the wire, and when I wiggle the piece next to the coil the machine was falsing, so I taped the wire to the shaft on the first few inches and tried...it worked!!!
Went to the beach for 3 hours, got 15

Glad you found the problem. You might want to see the other thread from a day or so ago where a guy was asking about how to secure the coil cable for water hunting or something like that. Especially in the water I think it may be just as critical to tightly secure the coil cable near the coil as it is at the hip or chest mount area properly, as in the water that cable that is "in the air" between the coil and where it meets the shaft might keep moving back and fourth due to water resistance. Some ideas about that in the other thread, as it sounds like you got the problem I was worried about for especially water hunters...

Upload some pics of that baby!! HH an GL -Joe

Nutriasub said:
Ok, I checked the wire, and when I wiggle the piece next to the coil the machine was falsing, so I taped the wire to the shaft on the first few inches and tried...it worked!!!
Went to the beach for 3 hours, got 15