Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal ?

biglry

This is for you guys or gals that have an :minelab: Excal or any experience with the Excal. I have an issue and I don't know what is going on. :confused:

First the history, I bought a used Excal 1000 it came with a new :coiltec: 15" coil that was not wired up yet (model "All Terrain 4452" = WOT?). I wired it following these instructions http://www.docsdetecting.com/coiltek/connect.html No problem, every thing matched up and wire colors were correct. I used the removable waterproof connector that came with the coil and let everything set on the bottom of an 8' pool over night, no leaks. :happy: (let silicone set for two days before water testing).
Took a AAA battery pack and installed a 1600 mah NiMH battery pack into it, bought battery from these guys http://www.onlybatterypacks.com . Battery pack came with great install instructions, I had a ? called them (262)246-0455 and got a fast answer and no issues.
Excal has the Blue headphones, they are crap IMO,:rant: I have some GG waterproofs on the way.
Everything is mounted on a balanced straight shaft, stock lower rod, the straight shaft sure beats the heck out of the "S" rod for balance IMO. All knobs are tight, almost feels and looks like a new machine or one that was not used much. :blink: For what it is worth, previous owner told me it had never been under water or gotten wet (came from the mid-west).

Now a little of my history, I build an aftermarket fuel injection module for EFI motorcycles for a few extra $ and KNOW how to solder, read and write wiring diagrams (in home biz). I have been a diver for over 45 years, both sport and commercial (now retired) so waterproofing something is not a problem...if it was meant to be waterproof and repairable I can usually do it, waterproofed many camera boxes for diving. The point being, I have the ability and confidence to go into the Excal and seal it back up with out any problems. :thumbup:

OK, here is the issue. When turning on the Excal, setting in Disc (no Discrimination) or Pin Point mode. Threshold barely audible or loud, makes no difference. Sensitivity set from Auto to all the way clockwise to min.
If I pass my hand/arm next to the control pod the Excal goes off like its coil has passed over something. :surprised: This happens with the Pod on or off the shaft, changed to a different battery pack, no difference.

I set the unit on a cardboard box, no metal within 30 feet and no power lines in the area and had just the headphones on, all is normal (don't touch the pod). If I pass something by the coil it sets it off like normal, it nulls on iron except in Pin Point, all normal, I get all the right sounds on all metallic objects. But if I get my hand or arm with in 1" of the control pod right near the side between the Sensitivity and Volume knobs I can make the Excal sound of as if it has gone over a piece of alum. If I put my arm in the cuff it just acts like it is going over something continuously I have no pins in my arms or any other metal in my body. :shrug: If fact, I can wiggle my finger at it (with in 1" of pod) and it sounds off like if I'm doing the SOV wiggle ( I have a SOV GT for dry fun)
This is driving me nuts :rage: and if I can't get a handle on it....then off to :minelab: in LV. :surrender:
I'm sure the Excal is out of warranty as I'm the second owner. I must say I had only turned the Excal on once...when I received it to see if it would come to life, it did. I have never hunted with it and don't know if this issue was there before and maybe why I got the deal I did on it. The previous owner has not replied to my inquires so he is no help and I kinda think he did not have a clue to how the Excal operated. :thumbdown:

Anyone ever had this weird experience with an Excal or have any suggestions?
Thanks for reading and any and all opinions are appreciated. :please:

Respectfully,
Larry

Larry, I have never actually experienced this particular phenomenon, but have heard of it before. I would recommend you send the unit to Vegas, sounds pretty serious, NOT NORMAL!

Hello Larry.

I found the same situation you described when I painted the control housing. I found out that static electricity, which is not normally found outdoors, is the culprit.

It was quite a shock to have the Excalibur go crazy as if I was over a target after I had painted the control housing indoors. I had a lot of static electricity present inside the house. The coil air tested fine. But if I got close to the control pod, it went nuts. Yeah I know the control housing is plastic. And static electricity should not be a problem with it being plastic. But I think you will find that it is a situation that pops up every once in a while indoors when doing air testing.

Try it outside and I am sure you will see that it is not really a problem after all. Is it possible you were on a carpet or was indoors and the static electricity was present when you touched the control pod? If so, try it outside and I am willing to bet it will go away.

Here are some shots of my Excalibur. It is a little dirty. I was out with it today and did really well with it. I hated those factory headphones. The straight shaft and the headphones makes it the machine it should have been from the factory. A shorter straight shaft is on the agenda for when I go diving. And I am giving some consideration of doing the coil swap. I may go with the tornado coils...getting the 8 inch and the 10 inch coils. I might even go with the 12 x 15 SEF seeing how I will be able to change the coils after doing the swap.

Good luck on your project Excalibur !

Thanks for the info Steve,
First, after good nights rest and a morning walk on the beach I turned the Excall on and the same issue....move hand, arm or fingers near the side, in line with the volume knob ant the detector sounds off as though the coil had passed by something (melted alum slug type sound). I was about ready to give up.:surrender: I then checked for any responses here at Find Mall and read Steve's post about his experience and static electricity. I decided to investigate farther and took the circuit board out of the :minelab: Excal. :stretcher: powered it up with the WOT coil and headphones connected (disclamer: don't do this unless you know what you are doing) :nono:
I then tested it by moving my hand all over and around the circuit board especially near the volume switch and got no ill responses :thumbup:...............Humm. So I took a new unscented "Bounce" fabric softener sheet, the kind that goes in the dryer to stop static cling and wiped the inside and outside of the plastic control pod and battery pack. :biggrin: I then assemble everything and........guess what..........NO MORE FALSE TONES :bouncy: when I pass my hand by the control pod or put my arm in the cuff. Looks like it was static electricity after all. ;)
I did not seal the pod up as I'm waiting for the GG to come in, once I get them installed I'll dump the whole thing it the pool for a day and see how it goes. If all is good then off to the beach to seek lost treasures IN THE WATER.:detecting:

Thanks everyone who read this thread and offered advice It is appreciated.:clapping:

Respectfully,
Larry

Larry...You said....."I have never hunted with it and don't know if this issue was there before and maybe why I got the deal I did on it. The previous owner has not replied to my inquires so he is no help and I kinda think he did not have a clue to how the Excal operated". :thumbdown:

Maybe this little static problem IS why you got such a good deal on it !:thumbup: I sometimes buy used cars with problems that the owner thinks is major when it is something minor. I get good deals on them for sure!

I know it is common and that not many pay attention to the problems of static electricity on electronics. When you are pulling apart the Excalibur, make sure you ground yourself first by touching the table or wall before touching the circuit board. I would also plan on working on the inside of the Excalibur on a cool damp day and if you have access to a static mat, I would recommend using it. Maybe a humidifier would also help to a degree.

I have had to replace IC chips and electronic parts because of static electricity in the past on improperly handled electronic parts.

The plastic on the Excalibur seems to have an affinity to static electricity. I suspect it is a very good electrical capacitor. The control pod and battery pack may also be storing static and the control knobs may be directing the static into the pod through the brass screws on the knobs. Not sure and have not made any measurements to find out as of yet. Some plastics and man made items are not very good when it comes to static. For example, NYLON.

Watch this video on this link and you will see what I mean.......... http://www.flixxy.com/static-electricity-nylon.htm

Thanks for the info and link Steve.
I do wear a wrist strap and ground myself before doing anything with electronics. I also have a static mat in front of where I do all my soldering for the EFI performance computer modules I build, so I know all about what static electricity can and will do.:yikes: I keep all my chips and circuit boards in ISO military spec anti-static bags. Now if them GG will get here I can finish this up.:bouncy:

Steve,
There is something about your Excal picture which I immediately noticed that might cause you some problems as it did on my machine.The cord shouild be tightly wound around the shaftt and kept away from the coil. Your picture shows several coils of wire right on top of the coil as well as several loose
wraps around the shaft. This situation on my machine caused falsing, especialy in the turbulance of surf water. Don't know if you have had this problem but I have read where others have, and this is an easy fix.
Ron

Nice tip Ron,
Thanks for adding your experience to this thread as I do plan to hunt in the surf and why I added the Excal to my armory. I do want to eliminate as much "falsing" as I can.

Respectfully,
Larry

I always have the first wrap go over the top of the shaft, not under it. I've got some land machines that are so sensitve to the coil wire that I tape it to the shaft for the first foot, being sure to leave a little play for coil movement, then begin the wrap.

Yep I know about that.

I fix it before I go out.
In order to transport the Excalibur in my car, I need to bring in the coil and that is why the coil wire is so bunched up at the bottom.

I just let the coil wire collect at the bottom and then move it when I get ready to use it. I had just been out and extended the shaft in order to clean it up and snap the photo.

But that is a good tip!