Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur 1000 advice

INVASCdigger

I was in one of our local pawn shops today and saw an Excalibur 1000 for sale. It had yellow Koss headphones and yellow topped control knobs. The 10" coil showed the serial number 17154. Can anyone tell me the year of manufacture, and what a fair price would be for it? They have a 30 day return policy, in case there are any problems with the detector. I've never used an Excalibur before, so I'd appreciate hearing suggestions as to what to look for when (and if) I purchase it, i.e. potential trouble that it might have, and putting it through some good testing procedures. They are asking $650 for the machine. I powered it up in the store, and it seemed to work, but I'm not sure how to go about testing various settings, etc. Thanks to all for any advice that you can give.

it sounds like its a excalibur 2?????its a very nice machine as i have one, and thats a great price if it works well,its mainly a water machine but i guess could be used on land too..to test out set to disc mode and set disc to 1 and sens to about 8 and threshold just audiable and volume to about 3/4 open and have fun, if you get this machine i might sugguest :minelab::detecting::clapping::thumbup:you get the ear cd from kellyco itll help you understand what the tones are and how they sound, i have one and still use it before i go hunting to give my ears a refresher..hope this helps a bit..

Hello JOHNMARKHAM,

Thank you for your reply. No, the machine isn't an Excalibur II. I wish that it was because that would be a fantastic price. I'd just like to know if the asking price of $650 is fair for the previous generation of Excalibur. Also, I wonder if the settings that you recommend would be the same for the Excalibur 1000 that I'm considering buying?

The ear CD is a great idea. I'll check it out at Kellyco. I appreciate your input!

Steve
INVASCdigger

Offer him $600 if he wont take it. $650 is a good price if it is in good condition.............Buy It

wow yes id still buy it..good price..
yes the settings i sent you will work just fine...youll like the excalibur allot..
hh
john

Thanks, vfr800. I took your advice, but went a step further and offered $575...and he took it! I'm glad to get it at that price. Now, I need to learn how to use it.

Best regards!
INVASCdigger

That is pretty much a steal, in good working order they sell consistently for around $800. Does it look beat to hell or nice? I would buy it and send it on into Vegas and get a once over, then you will have a, "like new" unit. You could ask them to reseal, calibrate, pressure check and check for any other issues, like faulty switches or pots. Probably cost you about $100 to gitter done and you STILL ain't hurt on the resale.

JOHNMARKHAM said:
it sounds like its a excalibur 2?????its a very nice machine as i have one, and thats a great price if it works well,its mainly a water machine but i guess could be used on land too..to test out set to disc mode and set disc to 1 and sens to about 8 and threshold just audiable and volume to about 3/4 open and have fun, if you get this machine i might sugguest :minelab::detecting::clapping::thumbup:you get the ear cd from kellyco itll help you understand what the tones are and how they sound, i have one and still use it before i go hunting to give my ears a refresher..hope this helps a bit..

Save yourself $35.00 and glue a nickel to the inside toe of your boot. That is pretty much the only sound you will want to hear

Gulf Hunter said:
That is pretty much a steal, in good working order they sell consistently for around $800. Does it look beat to hell or nice? I would buy it and send it on into Vegas and get a once over, then you will have a, "like new" unit. You could ask them to reseal, calibrate, pressure check and check for any other issues, like faulty switches or pots. Probably cost you about $100 to gitter done and you STILL ain't hurt on the resale.

Hi Gulf Hunter,
The machine looks great...not scratched up or beat to hell at all. I took it to the beach near Charleston South Carolina today and gave it the initial test. It ran smoothly and was stable as could be in both the dry sand and surf. I wish that I could say that I found something great (I didn't) but I'm encouraged by how well the machine performed. I still need to buy a good sturdy water/sand scoop. I found out pretty quickly that using a garden shovel in the surf doesn't work well at all. If anyone has a recommendation for a good durable stainless scoop, or has a used one for sale, please let me know. Also, I'd like to get an Alkaline Battery Pod for the Excalibur 1000. From what I've read, the new Excalibur II Alkaline pod won't fit properly. That's another item that, if someone has one for sale, new or used, please get in touch with me. I may send the unit to Vegas, but I hate to be without it since it works well now. Do you know how long it would take to get it turned around from Minelab?
Thanks for your suggestion!
Steve

Hello Steve,
I have a Excalibur 1000 and have 2 of the new Excal 2 Alkaline pods. They are exactly the same as the older yellow pod, the only difference is the price and the color. I found mine for $49 bucks each and installed the ebay battery packs in them. So now I have 3, the original and 2 new ones. Worry free detecting!

Best Regards,
Steve

ToniSteve said:
Hello Steve,
I have a Excalibur 1000 and have 2 of the new Excal 2 Alkaline pods. They are exactly the same as the older yellow pod, the only difference is the price and the color. I found mine for $49 bucks each and installed the ebay battery packs in them. So now I have 3, the original and 2 new ones. Worry free detecting!

Best Regards,
Steve

That's good news! It opens up a few more places that I can call to get an Excal Alkaline Pod. Would you mind telling me where you bought yours for $49.00? You can private email me at: capitalprintingsolutions@gmail.com

Thanks Steve!
Steve

Here is a great dealer for accessories of all kinds. http://demarcodetectorsales.com/index.htm
Joe DeMarco is VERY knowledgeable and helpful.
Last I heard turnaround at Minelab is about a month, but I'm sure that changes day to day, give 'em a call 1st, if you are thinking about shipping the unit 1st and check the back-log. Good luck out there mate!

Hey INVASC,
I bought a Excal 1000 last year and hunt down in the Charleston (Folly Beach) area. If you want to hunt sometime send me a PM. Im pretty new at water / beach hunting myself.

INVASCdigger said:
Thanks, vfr800. I took your advice, but went a step further and offered $575...and he took it! I'm glad to get it at that price. Now, I need to learn how to use it.

Best regards!
INVASCdigger

WOW, That is a good deal