Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur 1000 Coil

I just purchased a new Excalibur and I can not tighten the coil up enough to keep it from flopping around. I can just pick up the machine and the coil will drop. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Don

I've done that a time or three. You need to check it by removing it to check. Many times, the break is inside the shaft and you can't see it. If that's not it, then the threads on the bold are stripped, a V-E-R-Y common problem with the Sovs and Excals if you slightly overtighten them. Most of us end up drilling out the coils and shaft and inserting a larger nylon or plastic bolt you can buy at most hardware stores. Or you can find one from another manufacturer that might hold up better. Fisher's are pretty good, albeit a little short. Lastly, you could add a Minelab coil support which you can buy from most dealers. That does help "ol floppy", especially when you're in the water.

Thanks Gary. I did check the bolt and could not see a break, but as you said maybe it is unseen. I will check on the coil support. I used to have one of them but of course I can't find it now.
Don

Those teardrop washers are what holds the coil from flopping around and the bolt just puts more pressure on it. I would check those washers to see they are OK.
In my 10 years using the Sovereigns I have yet to break or strip a bolt, but been known to change the washers a few times as the coil was getting a Little lose feeling.

Both the washers are in place. I put the side with the offset to the inside. Is that corect or does it matter?

Thanks

I've never seen where it will flop around if the bolt isn't damaged, so I'm kinda stumped. I'd try to see if you can at least shim the side with the wingnut.

you can find thin plastic washers at home centers ie home depo, lowes ect thay have the plastic bolts and wing nuts too

My buddy just bought a 1000 and has the same problem. I compared his 10" coil to my 3 year old 8" coil and the distance between the coil lugs is wider than the older models. He tried shimming etc. and it didn't help. My suggestion to you is see if you can warm up the lugs with a heat gun while applying a little squeezing force with a c clamp. Just a little bit at a time until you get it where you want it...Pete

Hey Pistolpete, If you are talking about the difference in measurement
between the New Model EXCALS', and the Older Model EXCALS' (with the RED or GREEN Headphones), then you ARE RIGHT!! I have both Models, and when I first broke a lower shaft on my OLDER Model EXCAL, I had to experiment to find a REPLACEMENT. I am talking about the SEASEARCH
Coils, NOT ANYTHING ELSE. If that is what you are talking about, get yourself a FISHER CZ Lower Shaft, and it will FIT PERFECTLY. The base of the CLEVIX is the same width for the SEASEARCH Coils. If not, there is NO DIFFERENCE in the measurement of the CLEVIX Width
for all the NEW Model EXCALS' (ONES with BLUE HEADPHONES). Hope this helps, hh, NamVetLesTreasureSeeker

Every time I begin to think about another Minelabs Excal I read a letter like this.
Minelabs has a basically good machine with some , in my opinion, It is nearly unusable underwater with the standard "S" rod original control box configuration.