Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur battery cable end repair

HawaiiMDer

Has anyone changed out the battery cable end that attaches to the battery pod? If so, can you lend a few words of advise. I'm going to change mine with the battery charger adapter, but wanted any info that i need prior to doing the job. Any help with be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

your going to run into some problems
on the one's I seen
When they make the battery adapter out of the ikelite connector
they cut some of the plastic away under the cable gland grommet
so you wont be able to use that part of the ikelite charge adapter your going to have to use that part from your old one
also make sure you remove the brass soldering nuts before doing any soldering or you'll melt the plastic on the ikelite

Thanks for you reply Gold Master! Got a few questions. Why would they need to cut some plastic away? The adapter looks very close to what Minelab uses already. I opened the adapter up and saw what i think you are talking about the nut, why solder the connection, why not just set screw it in only leaving one connection to solder? I do see one particular problem and that's going to possibly the short length of wire to actually work with, very small margin of error. Lastly i don't think there is any part of my old plug going to be useable since i had to super glue the threaded plastic piece back to the adapter because it broke, then i siliconed the entire connection just to be able to use it. it works fine now, but i want to stop worrying about it everytime i go out.

Thanks again,

ken

the charger plugs in to a round metal tube female plug that has a wire soldered on the side, so they have to cut some plastic off in order for that wire to fit in to the ikelite

you'll have a better connection if you can solder both power wires, its easy to unscrew the brass nuts from the pins
don't attempt to solder the brass nuts unless you removed the pins, the pins have 0rings that could be damaged by heat

If you use the set screws to secure the power connections make sure to apply lots of silicon grease around the connection.

you can salvage the old ikelite parts , by using nail polish remover to dissolve the supper glue.

Now i understand what you're talking about. Thanks for the tips Gold Master. I'll let you know how it works out.

Ken

Gold Master,

I see what you meant when you said they had to cut the plastic. Very high possibility of leaks in that area. Anyway, i found that using the set screws opposed to soldering worked out better, seeing as how Minelab use the same set screws. i just made sure to heat shrink the connections and liquid tape everything. After installing the rubber compression washer and metal nut onto the Ikalite, i poured liquid tape into the top area of the compression nut and then sealed it with 100% silicon for added protection. Turned on the machine and all is working well. Final test will be this weekend at the beach. Keeping my fingers crossed, although i'm confident i did a good job. Thanks again for the heads up. BTW i love your Peltor Mod, I modded my excal with the 7A headphones, dramatic difference in sound and blocking out outside noise!!!!

Ken

I have a bad wire..............turned black all the way inside the excal......................i repaired it 4 times

finally last week i shipped it out west for new wire

the nightmare part is not all that bad if u are real handy with your hands and have the right tools..............i did not

Gravedigger,

Did the water leach all the way up to your control housing? If it did, what effects did it cause your detector?

Ken

If the copper wire is black, water has been there. If you've ever repaired the lights on a boat trailer you've already run into that and know what it looks like. If you have room and carefully scrape each strand with an exacto knife and get as much of the black off as you can, and have good ROSIN (not acid) flux, you usually can solder it again. Good luck! Jim

Thanks Jim, I'm going to give it the test tomorrow in the water. Cross your fingers, cause this is currently the only detector i got lol.

Happy to report the repair stood up to some really rough surf today!!!! Everything went perfect!!!! Thanks Goldmaster for your help!!!!

Ken