Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur Cable Problem

vulajim

I have a well-used Excalibur 1000 that seems to have a short or open in the cable a few inches before the cable. I can move it slightly and get a loud change in tone. The detector seems to work but with reduced sensitivity as long as I don't shake it too hard. If I do have a bad cable, is there a way to fix it or replace it? For example, can a snip off a few inches and re-splice it to the coil?

In looking at the connector on the coil, there is a plastic hex nut stress relief that comes off easily. Then the connector perplexes me. There are small plastic splines that circle the cable as it penetrates the plastic coil housing. Does it pull out with an O-ring? Or is it molded into the coil?

I would like to fix it myself, being fairly handy, but I don't want to ruin the coil or its water tightness. I can't seem to find much info on the web on how to do any type of repair on an Excalibur. I did find a CoilTek writeup on how to replace a coil, but it replaces it at the electronics end, not the coil end. Or is my only alternative to send it to Minelab in Las Vegas?

Thanks,
Jim P.

IF it were me i would leave it up to the pros at mine lab,WHY take a chance and mess up your detector , you may save a few dollars now but what if it leaks ,or you mess up your
detector a used excal will run you seven or eight hundred dollars????THATS just my opinion!!!!:stars:

If this is the coil wire that goes into the coil it can not be taken apart and repaired. It has the strain relief and from then on it is hard wired into the coil and does not come out. If the break is before the coil itself it probably can be repaired by splicing the wire and sealing up the cable. The best to do is send it in to Minelab in Las Vegas to be repaired.