Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur coil stabilizer

Tony

Hello all
Has anyone come up with a decent design for a coil/loop stabilizer bracket for the Excalibur coil?
Because the coil ears are flush with the side of the coil, the standard design doesn’t work (typical Whites style of loop stabilizer)
Love the detector but the thin loop bolt provides very little tightness and I’m not going to ruin my coil but over tightening which is futile anyway.
Can’t find much on the net which is surprising for such a popular machine.
Thanks in advance for any ideas or pictures (even better).
Tony

Is it time to change the teardrop washers? I change them on my machine once they get warn to the point that they no longer hold the coil properly.

Detector is just about new but still difficult to get any firmness to the coil and I want to avoid the potential problems with over tightening the bolt for little gain.
Thanks
Tony

I have never seen one offered for the Xcal.

The coil on my Excal moves a little when I lean on it, but is not pushed around by water movement like the coil is on a couple other detectors I have. When the Excal coil isn't tightening up, I replace the rubber washer and it is good until that washer wears out.

If you want to add a coil brace this tread has some ways to do it (scroll down through it to see several pictures): https://www.findmall.com/read.php?22,1112718,1112718#msg-1112718

There was also a post somewhere in Findmall where a piece of plexiglass was heated and formed to make a brace that worked well ... but I failed at finding that post in searches over that last several minutes.

One thing I don't like about a coil brace is that the coil angle is fixed and you can't just push the coil into a different angle when you change sweep for things like gridding an eroded bank, or changing from an open walk on the sand with the coil well out in front, to hunting water with the coil close in. It is about trade offs.

Tony, maybe a lower carbon fiber rod assembly would fix your problem? With these carbon fiber setups you'll have less flex and a stronger base to secure the coil better. Maybe your teardrop spacers are worn and just need replaced. .What size coil are you using? Good Luck Ron

tvr said:
The coil on my Excal moves a little when I lean on it, but is not pushed around by water movement like the coil is on a couple other detectors I have. When the Excal coil isn't tightening up, I replace the rubber washer and it is good until that washer wears out.

If you want to add a coil brace this tread has some ways to do it (scroll down through it to see several pictures): https://www.findmall.com/read.php?22,1112718,1112718#msg-1112718

There was also a post somewhere in Findmall where a piece of plexiglass was heated and formed to make a brace that worked well ... but I failed at finding that post in searches over that last several minutes.

One thing I don't like about a coil brace is that the coil angle is fixed and you can't just push the coil into a different angle when you change sweep for things like gridding an eroded bank, or changing from an open walk on the sand with the coil well out in front, to hunting water with the coil close in. It is about trade offs.

Thanks for that link.....I see what you mean by being locked into a set angle if using a bracket. I’ll need to think this over some more
Tony

Ron from Michigan said:
Tony, maybe a lower carbon fiber rod assembly would fix your problem? With these carbon fiber setups you'll have less flex and a stronger base to secure the coil better. Maybe your teardrop spacers are worn and just need replaced. .What size coil are you using? Good Luck Ron
Thanks Ron......I’ll look into that. Washers are new. I was concerned with coil damage from over tightening
Tony

As an aside on washer replacement ... I was checking over the detectors getting ready for a trip and the Excal coil ears were starting to rub on the lower shaft. Time to replace washers. I've been using 1/2 inch beveled faucet washers. Pack of ten is under $3. I use a dremel tool to open up the hole and do a little trimming to get them to fit. They last just about as long as the factory original ones for a fraction of the price. Just need to do a little judicious trimming to fit.
Cheers,
tvr

Hello all
Has anyone come up with a decent design for a coil/loop stabilizer bracket for the Excalibur coil?
Because the coil ears are flush with the side of the coil, the standard design doesn’t work (typical Whites style of loop stabilizer)
Love the detector but the thin loop bolt provides very little tightness and I’m not going to ruin my coil but over tightening which is futile anyway.
Can’t find much on the net which is surprising for such a popular machine.
Thanks in advance for any ideas or pictures (even better).
Tony
Hi,Tony.stoneshirt here.Here's a Pic of what I've been using for 18Yrs.I cut it from an old Women's Sandal,with a real high Heel.It's a real dense Foam Rubber..Works good,an no moving Parts.
stoneshirt. PICT0110.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: