Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur ll Question

Degries

Thinking about buying an Excalibur ll but is there a difference between when it was made. I seen several used for sale on ebay with question on was it made before a certain date. Does this make a difference in the detector. I know Minelab moved there operations but does this affect the quallty of the detector.

Some feel that because they move the assembly plant from Ireland to Malaysia that the quality was different. The parts are still made where they were before and only the assembly was changed and go though the same quality control, so most find they are the same built either place. Myself I find more changes with the new Minelab company than with the quality of the detectors them self's.

In my opinion, no it does not affect the quality. Some have a different opinion. I have found that because Minelab is selling a lot of Excaliburs, the numbers of problems get larger as more machines are out. I doubt that there are a lot of Excaliburs with problems though. They have been around for a long time now and I feel the technology has matured to the point that it does not matter where it was assembled. All the parts are still made by the same companies as before.

i had only one problem with the xcal2 ,,,the wire crackes very eazy i had my battery wire and the headphones wire replaces after 1 year

time , The battery wire broke. so the detector is gone for almost 3 months of the first 8 months of ownership in prime time, quality ???????

Jim

For you having not owned one, you have nothing to compare it too! I am also in your boat. I have owned two but within the same year. I truly believe that the units vary anyhow from each other.I would be cauious to buy used. They are not cheap to fix and if you put the time in and learn the machine a new unit will pay for its self in a short time.Since I recieved a replacement unit about 8 months ago this one paid for its self 3 times over and owes me nothing.The first one had almost paid for its self before it got sick! Same holds true for my Minelab GT paid for three times over in first two months, one find. That time I was just lucky.The Excalibur will find the gold. There is so much info out on the web about how to use them. You will be asking yourself why you didn't do it sooner. I did! steve

Thanks everyone for the input. I use the Tesoro Tiger Shark and it does good on gold but it just don't have the depth or DD coil the Minelab would. I have seen the forums on Minelabs service and I have to tell you that's one thing that has put me off on buying one already. That and only a 1 year warranty.

I bought my Excalibur in 2005 and have been using it in salt water beaches as well as fresh water lakes. It is still working as new without any problems. I use a bottle of food grade Silicone spray called 500 PSI I bought at a dive shop. Saltwater divers use it on all there equipment,hoses,regulators masks,spear guns and all there other equipment. The spray protects and lubricates all rubber products.
Johnnymac

I bought a can of "RV" silicone spray , made by Liquid Wrench , at Walmart for under three bucks ! Sprays and drys clear. When it dried , it looked better than new. gotta protect the rubber and plastics from the salt and sun ! Should make it last much longer !