Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur lower rod questions. Anyone else have this happen?

EZ2Find

anyone out there have their lower rods unexpectedly break on them at the bottom just above the coil??
This has happened to me twice now and I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary to cause it. Is it just
lousy materials being used to make the rods?? Anyone use something other than the Minelab lower rod
that might be better/stronger???? Appreciate your input. HH

EZ2Find

A few years back I remember some saying this as the Sovereigns were doing the same thing. These are the ISO rods I believe it is called and were replaceable, but I don't think they are now and possibly built a little better now. Some of the reason this was happening we have seen as some dragged the coil more or had more drag on it and then would swing it back to fast instead of a nice smooth swing to it. Since 1996 I only broke one and that was when it fell of the shelf and broke it. I have a hunting Buddie that has broke 2 on his Sovereign and was because he like to drag the coil too much as he even wears out a coil cover in one season, so you know he drags his coils. He put a piece of PVC pipe on his shaft where it would break and filled it with some Epoxy or bondo and never had another one break. Just a idea to try by reinforcing it where you know they have been breaking.

Another thing that causes them to break, and not just the Minelab but others too, is putting too much body weight on them as you lean over to look for a target. I think as we get tired we start using the things as leaning posts as well as detectors without even realizing it. I used to be really bad about this.
Jerry

hey grave digger. when i go out far from home i usually have a another coil on a shaft with me but ive never broke one yet. where do you get those ends at. thats a stupid question , i sure you order them from minlab . i always carry a tool box and it would be nice to have one of those ends in it. ya never know. i will look into getting one anyway being im pretty much an equipment and parts junkie plus if your buddy blows a end it can end a day of detecting fast.
thanks for the info.
stan pa.

Hey EZ2Find, Like Max, I carry a spare shaft also. They will cost you approx. $29. But, it is either $29 Now, and you carry it with you inside your detector bag, so that you can do an on the spot changeover, and then continue your detecting adventure. Or, it is $29 later, and you have to go home, because you cannot continue to detect with your Excalibur. Only other option, is to carry a spare detector with you as a backup, which is also what I do. For most of us, detecting time is PRECIOUS, when you have to work around family obligations/weather and tidal conditions, and cost of gasoline and travel time. Hope this helps, hh.