Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur sensitive to moving cable experiment

vulajim

I was wondering if some you experience the same problem that homerule described in his post "can anyone identify this?" I get the same results when I move the cable near the coil - basically the tones go haywire for an instant. The question is, does this happen on good detectors? Can any of you perform an experiment and move your cable ands see what the tones do? My suspicion is that you are moving a piece of a conductor within the coil and the inductance is changing and the detector is doing what it is supposed to do. If not, I have a bad wire that needs resplicing.
Thanks,
Jim in Huntington Beach

yes it will pick up the coil wire as it has copper wire and shield inside it.but only if you get too close like 12" from the coil..my Minelabs will also pick up cell phone updating or ringing!

Are you saying that it is happening when you move the cable at the point where it comes out of the coil?

What I am doing is wiggling the the 3-5 inches of cable between where if goes into the coil and where it is tie-wrapped to the pole. When I wiggle the cable, the detector acts like it detected something.

vulajim said:
What I am doing is wiggling the the 3-5 inches of cable between where if goes into the coil and where it is tie-wrapped to the pole. When I wiggle the cable, the detector acts like it detected something.
That's what I thought. I would think that using the detector in the water would have the same affect, the only difference being that it would be the water resistance moving the cable as you are swinging the detector. Interesting.....

Good point. I would hope that the Excalibur design would allow for small movements of the cable when you move the coil through the water. Maybe one does hear a disturbance on the highest sensitivity setting?

I may have an intermittent open or short where the cable is tie-wrapped to the pole. From what I can tell, I would have to get a new coil from minelab just to fix the cable. I may attempt to cut out the bad part of the cable and re-splice it. I'm not sure how to make the repair waterproof and pressure proof. Any suggestions?

vulajim said:
Good point. I would hope that the Excalibur design would allow for small movements of the cable when you move the coil through the water. Maybe one does hear a disturbance on the highest sensitivity setting?

I may have an intermittent open or short where the cable is tie-wrapped to the pole. From what I can tell, I would have to get a new coil from minelab just to fix the cable. I may attempt to cut out the bad part of the cable and re-splice it. I'm not sure how to make the repair waterproof and pressure proof. Any suggestions?
If it's under warranty, my suggestion would be to call Minelab. If not, you might want to see about having a new coil installed. I would think it would be difficult to guarantee a waterproof connection since the break is going to be so close to the coil. Just my opinion. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better solution.

HH, bottlebum

That's the thing - it's a fairly old unit out of warranty that saw a lot of use. I'm sure I'm looking at a minimum $200-$300 to ship, repair, and ship back that I would prefer not to spend. I'm using the unit as a beach detector, though I may plan on diving with it in the future. I've been looking for a used coil on eBay but they seem to be scarce and expensive. There are the ones made by Coiltech for $200. I see used ones for Sovereigns for $125, but I don't know if they will work on a Excal or if they are waterproof. Anyone know?

I'm sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe that you can use the SovereignsTornado coils on the Excalibur. I have also heard of people using the Sun Ray and Coiltek coils on them.

I had that problem with my coil, and so i searched on ebay for a new coil. i was lucky anough to get a minelab 8" bbs for 50 pounds.
if you keep looking, you should get one cheap anough.
homerule

When I sent my 1000 in to Minelab to have the Gray Ghost Headphone installed and the coil cable shortened to 48 inches. I talked to Robert and he said that a lot of movement of the coil wire would cause the unit to react. Also I thought about changing to the 8" coil and it was $140 installed if my memory is correct... but I have CRS.... and cannot member that far back... re:unsure:

I just sent my Excal in a few weeks ago as I was sure there was something wrong with the coil cable. I also had them put waterproof connectors on the existing headphones and one on the detecting pod so I could change headphones down the road. They did that and cut off 4" of cable, that was intermittent near the coil area and the whole thing cost $180 including return shipping. I think about $125 of that was the price of the new conncectors and labor for changing the headphone connectors. They also checked the control pots and knobs. They were stiff before and now rotate nicely. I got quick efficient service. They are customer service oriented and the actual technician who was working on my machine called me to verify what I wanted done and reported his findings. Call DIck Schultz at ML and tell him what the problem is and ask what it might cost. Be sure to include in your shipping package a note explaining in detail what happens and what you want done.
This is an opportunity to get a new Excal and to send your old one in for repair for a back up or to sell somewhere down the road. Regards...Jim.

I'm using a Tornado 1000 coil on the Excal 1000 right now and it works fine. Lighter, slightly more sensitive, no worries. If you find one of those, it should work fine. Minelab did my installation though, so I cannot tell you how to do it, but I know it CAN be done.