Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excalibur shaft decision

smkunder

Been thinking of switching my standard shaft to a straight shaft, looking at the different configurations and am confused by the standard straight and the over and under, what are some of the advantages I should be looking at?

Ive used both the over and under as well as the behind the elbow. I prefer the over and under. The behind the elbow is nice but it just makes the Excal so long. Used it for years and still have it but ever since switching over i wont be going back to it. I prefer the Anderson stuff. A little pricey but well worth it.

I've been using EXCAL Straight Shafts for 17yrs., and I have the "Below the ELBOW Model", "Above the ELBOW Model", and the DOUBLE Below the ELBOW Model! I PERSONALLY
Did NOT Care for the DOUBLE Below the ELBOW Model, that much!! With PLUGGER's Rods, YOU can BUY the DOUBLE Below the ELBOW Model, and if YOU DON'T like IT, YOU just BUY the ABOVE the ELBOW Extension Piece, and YOU have a COMFORT Choice!! Also, PLUGGER, will MAKE the MAIN Rod ANY Length YOU want, just in case, YOU are
VERY T-A-L-L!! That way, YOU don't have to be BOTHERED Bending Over While YOUR Detecting!! Also, if YOU are Detecting in Fairly DEEPWATER, with the DOUBLE UNDER the
ELBOW Model, YOU will get some D-R-A-G Factor from the DOUBLE BAR!! If YOU are Just BEACH Detecting ANY Model will work, but the ABOVE the ELBOW WILL L-I-G-H-T-E-N
the WEIGHT Factor while DETECTING!! Hope this HELPS, Les Robinson.

I'm with Les on Plugger's stuff.

You could consider Plugger's 4 piece Carbon Fiber dive and beach shaft. I thought it seemed like a lot of money, but picked one up to try and after using it got another to put on my other Excal.

Why? Biggest reason is that I like the shaft clamp design. Unlike the stock shaft clamp design (that Anderson also uses) the Plugger does not get all jammed up after a day in the water with very fine sand or silt sediment. To me, that is very important when I am traveling and am not carrying a lot of tools to help get a stuck shaft apart. The Plugger 4 piece set breaks down to fit a suitcase very nicely. It also lets you set up in the over / under set up or with the extension piece that puts the detector tube above and behind the elbow. I have mine set up with the over / under because it only needs one joint separated, plus the coil removed from the rod to be able to pack in a suit case. With the above and behind the elbow, another section needs to be taken apart; not a lot of difference, but I like to keep packing simple.

The carbon fiber is light and the straight shaft balances it all well; that all adds to the time I can detect and not feel too tired to function. Light and easy to swing is becoming a bigger factor as I add years to this old body.
Cheers,
tvr

I use the Balanced Straight shaft from Plugger. That shaft makes the machine feel far lighter than what it really is. Depending on your height he will make you a shaft that is the proper length.

Well after a lot of reading and input from this group, I just placed an order with Plugger for a two piece straight shaft. What a great guy to deal with and he is making it for my height. Looking forward to see how it swings after years with the old shaft. Thanks everyone for your help.:clapping:

Bill Quinn aka Plugger makes a great product, you won't be disappointed.

Bill will also make how you want it and is great to deal with or just ask questions to. I prefer Bills locks as well. The under is more for diving and much like the standard keeps the tudes under water a lot. IMO the more you can keep them out of the water the better. Aluminum blisters inside CF doesnt.

I made my own shaft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc5HMuI9JNk