Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excelerator 12.5 DD coil for the MXT

A

Anonymous

Before purchasing the 12.5" DD Excelerator coil I had been reading the few occasional posts concerning the 14" Excelerator DD coil for the MXT/DFX, and I don't recall noticing if any of the posters mentioned a couple of performance features of the Excelerator coil. For those that may have mentioned what I am about to point out, I do apologize for missing your posts.
I am going to assume for the sake of arguments that the 12.5" and 14" Excelerator perform similar in the field aside from one being slightly larger than the other. I have not used the 14" coil, and only own the 12.5 DD coil. What I have noticed is that the 12.5" DD coil in no way acts like the Minelab coils (for example) as far as true DD performance. What I mean is that there is a sweet spot on the Excelerator coil in the center area that is similar to the White's 5x10 DD coil. The Minelab coils have no sweet spot per se, and pinpointing a target requires a different approach. The Minelab coils give pretty much an equal strength target response from the entire length of the coil with no sweet spot in the center. (At least that's what I have noticed when using a Minelab DD coil.)
I also have noticed that the Excelerator coil has a much wider "windshield washer" signal response from targets that does not allow for precise pinpointing or easy target size analyses. There is no thin line or slim line windshield washer thin area that gives a target response, and it seems to give a wider footprint. The Whites 5x10 DD coil and the Minelab coils, on the other hand, do allow for very precise pinpointing despite a different approach that is utilized for those differing size/shape coils.
What I want to know is this: How many owners of the 14" Excelerator have noticed the two points I have made, or at least has anyone compared the White's 5x10 DD and Minelab DD coils to the Excelerator 14" inch coil to find any performance differences between the two coils? What were your own observations if you did compare them?
Finally, let me say that the 12.5 DD works just fine with no real problems aside from my observations. I was concerned prior to purchase that instability, or a wavering threshold would be encountered, but I have not noticed anything that required me to adjust the MXT differently. It's only my perceptions and approach to detecting that needs adjustment.

Thats a very good and precise observation. Thanks for that info.
With regards to the depth of the Excelerator coils.
Does the 12.5 go as deep as the stock MXT coil in similar soil?
Thanks again..RonL

That may depend on the soil you are in at the time, but in my moderately hot soil the 12.5 DD goes deeper. It also gives a more accurate depth indication when pinpointing---surprisingly.
The 950 coil would probably compete very well against the 12.5 DD in milder soil conditions. In any case, the differences in depth are noticeable but not overwhelming.

One of the local beaches up here in Edmonton is very alkaline. It gives me a reading of about 30 in prospecting mode. To date I have used the stock coil,
4x6DD and 6x10DD and had various success with all of them. (77 rings..28 of them gold, 75 silver coins) Any silver that I find is pretty well useless because the soil corrodes it so badly.
I'm just wondering if getting one of those new coils would give me a bit more depth in that type of soil.
What do you think?
RonL

Beaches in Edmonton?.....I had to check my map to see that you meant local lake shores...Ha Ha !!!
Anyway, I have never hunted in soil like yours, and I would hesitate to tell you to spend $200 on a coil for just a chance at added depth. Especially when you say that the you have done well with the 6x10 DD.
My advice would be to try and find someone in your area that may have one of these coils for you to test before you buy. Sorry that I can't be more helpful, but a reading of 30 surprises me. I have only used this coil with readings in the 70's.
Good luck, and let me know how things turn out for you.