Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excelerator/Detech 8" concentric coil question

I am seriously considering buying the Excelerator/Detech 8" concentric coil for my EXII. I would like to hear from users here that have this coil. I am in Massachusetts and the ground is very mineralized, so I am not sure how the concentric design will do in these conditions. I hunt mostly parks and schools, so the trash factor is usually high. Will this coil be able to pick through the trash better than the stock 10.5" DD design due to the fact that it's not "biting off" as much soil at the 4-8 inch range, due to the cone shaped pattern, which is where most of the good stuff is? What are you guys getting for depth with this coil? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

Hi Todd,

I planned to get back to you on this, so here goes...
I used the coil this weekend. I found that I was able to go into an area I'd worked before and get a few more goodies. Nothing earth shattering but the coil performed very well in the iron trash-laden mineralized soil we have here. I think it's a winner and I wouldn't mind using it as my primary coil, honestly. Pinpointing is a bit easier and more precise also as well as faster and less work than with the DD coils. A minor point since we get used to pinpointing with DD coils after a while but true.
I think it's a very good coil and I plan to give it some more use. Worth the hundred bucks I paid without a doubt.

Just my 2 cents someone else may have another point of view, that's what makes it all fun :)

Happy hunting to you.

P.S. I don't know about the prototypes being white and production being black to be honest, you'd have to check with Detech or Kellyco about it. But I do have a white one.

I like mine it is accurate on the I.D.down to 6 inches after that you have to go by the tone and I believe it has a sweeter tone on coins then any other coil of have tried. If the trash and goodies are at the same depth it seems to be able to pick out coins better maybe its the cone shape of the detection ray, but when it comes to trash and coins at multiple depths the DD coil is the way to go.

Although I like the results I have gotten from my 8" Excellerator Concentric coil, I have been testing a prototype 4 X 7 Excellerator DD coil and I find myself using it most of the time. Even in my moderately mineralized soil, I find that the 4 X 7 DD is much more stable to operate. Not a fault of the coils. Just a fact about the design characteristics of DD vs Concentric. I have not noticed any appreciable difference in depth (between the two), but the 4 X 7 is able to separate targets better, due to it's physical shape. One thing I have found about the 4 X 7 is that it seems to be "super hot" along the sides of the coil. When I get near large metallic objects, such as a chain link fence or playground equipment, I approach them with the tip of the coil and not work the area parallel to the object. If you only want to buy one accessory coil for your Explorer, I would encourage you to ask JW about the 4 X 7 DD instead of the 8 inch concentric. HH Randy

Thanks for all the info. The 4x7 DD sounds good, but right now I am looking for a concentric coil. It may or may not work in the mineralized ground that I tend to hunt. I think I will give it a shot and see. If it doesn't work well here, I may try the small DD coil, although I already own the 8" Minelab. I will post after I have used the concentric a few times and let you all know how it worked out for me.