Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EXcelerator S.E.F. Butterfly Search Coil

sport.pilot

Hello Everyone,

Does anybody have any experience with these DD coils sold by Kellyco? They come in some odd sizes, but I was wondering if anybody has used them and with what success. I am interested in the 6X8 or perhaps the 8X10. I will be using them on the V3 and/or a M6. I am thinking about seeing if I can trade the 9.5 concentric that comes with the M6 for one since I already have an Eclipse 9.5 concentric on the way from Whites. I also will be getting the 4X6 elliptical DD from Whites, and I already have the 10 inch D2 and the 5.3 Eclipse elliptical coils.

I mainly hunt city parks and sports fields in CA, NV, and AZ. I mainly hunt for coins and jewelry. I may hunt for relics in the AZ and NV desert from time to time, but overall that activity for me is rare as I am not that interested in it. Thanks.

Darryl

I have the BIG one 15x12 and I like it at the beach, covers alot of ground and goes deep. Could not use it at the park, to much trash. I think the smaller one would do better there. at the beach it was very stable, did not false. I find that you can never have enough coils!

Steve

sport.pilot said:
Hello Everyone,

Does anybody have any experience with these DD coils sold by Kellyco? They come in some odd sizes, but I was wondering if anybody has used them and with what success. I am interested in the 6X8 or perhaps the 8X10. I will be using them on the V3 and/or a M6. I am thinking about seeing if I can trade the 9.5 concentric that comes with the M6 for one since I already have an Eclipse 9.5 concentric on the way from Whites. I also will be getting the 4X6 elliptical DD from Whites, and I already have the 10 inch D2 and the 5.3 Eclipse elliptical coils.

I mainly hunt city parks and sports fields in CA, NV, and AZ. I mainly hunt for coins and jewelry. I may hunt for relics in the AZ and NV desert from time to time, but overall that activity for me is rare as I am not that interested in it. Thanks.

Darryl

I have the big 12X15 and it works good for ground coverage. A bit heavy though.
Also keep in mind you will not be able to use your boost with them as they are not V tuned.

Jason

I have both the 12x10 and 8x6. I like them so much it's getting to the point that they are the only 2 coils I use. They completely changes the V for the better.

My detecing buddy feels the same way. He has the same coils for both his V3 and Explorer.

The 12x10 is a bit heavier than the D2 but since the search rod mounts in the middle it's better balanced and in my opinion causes less fatigue than the D2.

It should be noted we have very mineralized soil and benefit greatly from a DD coil and TX boost is usually not an option with any coil - v-rated or not.

RacerX said:
It should be noted we have very mineralized soil and benefit greatly from a DD coil and TX boost is usually not an option with any coil - v-rated or not.

I feel the need to correct myself on the above. I flipped on TX boost with the 12x10 SEF coil yesterday just to see what it would do (I assumed overload). Running C&J I had no overload and the coil was as stable as ever.

It did sound of on deep iron making it sound good but thats not unusual in our soil with any coil - just maybe a little more so with TX boost on.

And man was I gettin some punch. 9" wheats sounded 4" deep.

First there is no 8x10 SEF for there V3. The SEF coils handle the bad ground better so they can run quieter. I have to disagree that the 10x12 is better balanced than the D2 which is center mounted. Being a bigger coil than the 10" D2 it might get a little depth advantage. The SEF coils are like the non V nulled coils there is no guarantee what gain you can run. If you lived close and could try several you could get a hot one. Rob

I just started using an SEF 6x8 coil I got last week. Their add says it works with the V3. I operated it using TX boost and often high receiver gain w/ no issues. I have gotten a few overloads in some spots but that would be normal when running a coil with that much power and gain In the red clay soil here in NC, high mineralization. The SEF 6x8 works very well in this soil and excellent results in trashy areas. So far it has been a good choice, I would buy another in a second..

I cant decide if i should get the 6x10 from whites that everyone loves or the 6x8 excelerator coil. I need the smaller size for targer seperation but have no clue how they stack up and comepare with one another. Any thoughts?

I would say 6X10 because it is V nulled and you can use it with only the 22khz freq without the VDIs being off. While with the SEFs they dont handle the 22khz freq very well.

I just got off the phone with Kellyco and they went and tested one on a V3 for me in all 3 frequencies and then all three individually. They said it worked just fine.

Hey Tinfoil,
Have gotten this info from various users that are using them. They have told me that since its is not a V nulled coil that they do not handle the higher 22khz quite right.

The reason being that all the current coils that are not v nulled work on the DFX which has the 3khz and 15khz. The Spectra has 2.5, 7.5 and then the 22khz. In order for the coils to work perfectly with the 22khz and boost feature they have to be fine tuned to a higher standard, thus the reason for the V nulled coils that whites released.

Have also read that coils can vary from coil to coil though. With some users stating that they have coils that are not V nulled and handle the 22khz and boost feature just fine.

The SEF coils are not currently v nulled, so your experience may vary on how it handles the 22khz and boost feature. Some users have stated they have not had any issues, while others have told me that when engageing the 22khz freq the VDIs for that freq and slightly higher and also that the RX gain recommendation will be lower then when using one of the other freqs.

Hope this helps.

I don't think anyone is saying the SEF coils don't work. It's that Kellyco is not claiming to have the coils nulled to Whites standards. If they were they would say so. If they don't overload for you, you are fine. If they over load at RX15 with the boost on they are not V nulled. Then just don't hunt with those settings. If you are happy that's fine. Use what works for you. Discussion is fine but go find some good targets and have fun. Rob

So I got a 6X8 comming Monday or as soon as JW gets back from hunting. My MXT bit the bullet and I had to send it to Sweet home to get fixed. Brother I mean it really died too. I have not heard anybody say anything bad about either size coil on the MXT. I am lucky I can run Boost down here on my V3 and it really does get some very nice depth. I am going to Fl. in a few weeks to see the kids and beach hunt for a whole month. I tell them if they want me I will be at the beach hunting :rofl: . Thanks to you guys for the Info. I really appreciate it. :D: :D: HH Jerry aka Tinfoil

Just another question, sorry dont want to hi-jak but have you chaps in the States noticed any big difference in the Probe reading when using the Sef over the DD ???? I may be one of the first to use a Sef on a V3 over here in the UK ....

I am using the SEF 10x12 and is perfect with no problems but boost is overloaded ... I noticed that it's better by setting the Recovery Delay relic at 70 ...