Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EXcellerator coils - The Real Deal or Hype?

Mojave

Well, I am thinking about getting a Minelab SE, but I have a question about the EXcellerator coils sold at kellyco. Are these really "that" good? Has anyone experienced the "20-26 inch depth on coins" that some of the coils are advertising? I think the 18" coil claims this.

Are these better than the official Minelab coils? What set would you suggest to someone new to this detector. The stock coil looks good, will I need a 5" coil and perhaps a larger coil?

Opinions welcomed. Thanks

My experiance is between the platypus coil and the EQ2 12 inch coil. Others will have more thoughts on this. The stock ML works fine. The 12 inch EQ2 was a little better depth than stock coil on the EX11.
I purchased the platypus coil from Coiltech and thats all I use now. I have hit wheats between 10 and 12 inches. It gives a clearer signal and is more stable than the other two coils also. I was thinking the coil couldnt hit that low until I went out last night. The other places must not have had deep coins because thats all I got last night. All were below 8 inches. Thats my luck with them.

jimb se wi

I can't speak for the 18" coil ... never used one that big but I imagine it would be fine to cover a HUGE open area or on the beach but it would be a handful and certainly NOT something a new Explorer user should be trying to learn with... If you're new to the Explorer ?

From experience I CAN say that the 10x14 DD Excelerator DD will hang with the WOT 15" on depth and seems to be way more stable at high sens settings and doesn't feel near as heavy to me.
Hard to beat a stock 10" and 7.5" coil to learn with overall but YES some of these aftermarket coils are very good. Excelerator, Sunray, Coiltech, all have their strengths and weaknesses ... be it weight, handling ability, stability or whatever depending on the site being hunted.
Depth isn't EVERYTHING !

A little info, I just bought the SunRay 12" coil for my Exlporer XS. so far i am getting alittle more than ten inches very happy with pinpointing with it. nice and light noticeable differance with weight that is a plus. Just another option you might want to look into. i asked on forums which people would like more the sunray's or excellerators. about 75 percent recomended the sunray so that's why i went with sunray.

Hi Mojave,

I have both the 15" WOT and a platypus, the WOT will give you a good measured extra 30% in depth but it can be an arm breaker with the extra weight, the 12" X 9" Platypus is a good coil with a "little" extra depth over the stock coil, it's only about 2.5 Ozs heavier that the SE stock coil and it's waterproof as is the WOT.
I have never used an 18" coil but it's certainly a big mother.

Regards....Boony

After much "research" on aftermarket coils, I can provide the following:

I chose the Sunray X-12 and the X-5 last summer. The X-12 is outstanding in all around performance with increased depth over stock as well as reduced weight. It is a fantastic beach coil, and has a lower drag in the water (surf). The X-5 has given equal depth to the stock coils in trash areas. What is often overlooked is that Sunray works closely with Minelab, and their coils are electronically matched to the Minelab machines. I don't know this to be the case with the others, and I am certainly not putting down the WOT or the Platypus. I do have reservations with the "Excellerator" due to who and how they are marketed.

I have tested all the excelerator coils for the Explorer except the 14 inch. I can say there were some problems with the older ones when they were first released. That has not been the case now. The new EQ2 excelerator is doing great. This coil is a full 6 inch dia dd and is about 3/4 inch thick, this is one of their newest and I've been using it alot this season so far. The 12.5 I got in the fall and it has proved itself to me.
When the first 18 inch excelerator came out I used one and found two caches of silver dollars on the same property. I can't say anything bad about this coil. I've found 3 caches in 35 years of detecting and two were with this coil. Yes, you can expect it to be heavier and it takes some getting use to moving a coil of this size. I use a hip-mount kit when I use this coil. Depth is outstanding and the deepest coins I've ever found were with this coil. I have and I use the wot and the sunray coils. I will not knock any of these coils as they also have performed well. I did have a warranty issue one time with a sunray 12.5. The only comment I will make on the platypus is the manufacturing problem with the ears of the coil being spaced too far apart. Maybe they corrected this problem as I had one of the first releases of this coil. The coil flop was terrible and they actually included a rubber washer with this coil. I have also done well with the joey coil but I like the 4.5x7 excelerator better as far as a small elliptical coil. I have not used the 12x14 excelerator as of yet. I do have one for my DFX and its been doing great. Kellyco has been good at replacing problem coils if there is a problem.

JW has been very good at replacing coils. I was one of the first to try the 4.5x7. I had to drill bolt holes larger etc in the early days but as the coil improved I would get another in the mail. Yes they are good coils, at least the ones I have are. The 8" for the MXt is hot.

I have their 14, concentric 8, and 4.5 x 7, Never saw the depth they claim on the 14, even at the beach, love my concentric 8 but after using it only 6 weeks, the little screws came out of the upper plug and I have to have it repaired. I own several other Sun Ray coils and in terms of quality if Sun Ray and Kelly co offered two similar coils, I would always buy the Sun Ray hands down. Allot of the advertising of the Excellerator line is hyped up, something other manufactures don't seem to have a need to do and yet their coils still sell. I agree though with the lower post, if new to the SE, get a 8 inch or 7.5 first as they are lighter and a smaller coil will make learning the machine allot easier.