Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excellerator coils VS Eclipse coils...

A

Anonymous

I keep hearing about these Excellerator coils that Kellyco sells, so I went to the website to check them out. Some of those claims are pretty unbelievable. The depths they claim to get with their 5" coil seems to be on par with what I would expect from the factory 950...Just how good IS the 5" excel? How does it stack up against all the competition? If you were to rank it against all the Eclipse coils, where would it fall as far as depth and peformace?

The Excelerator 5 inch DD coil and the stock 9.5 concentric both work well on the MXT. Generally, DD coils perform better in moderate to highly mineralized ground than concentric coils, so how each one works for you will depend on where you hunt and the soil you are working. As to the claims on some of the manufacturer's websites, I agree that some of them do seem pretty unbelievable. They make you think that gold coins were just waiting to be uncovered by anyone. I guess that is just marketing. Those of us who have been in the hobby for a long time know that it takes dedication (and a bit of luck) to be successful. With that said, I will testify to the great depth and sensitivity of the 5 inch Excelerator. It hit hard on a 14K gold band at 6 inches. It separates trash well and is very sensitive to small objects. I find it hard to compare it to any specific White's coil as it is a round DD coil and White's DD coils are oval. White's round coils are concentric. I personally like DD coils better than concentric coils as the detection pattern is more uniform from the front of the coil to the back, as opposed to a cone shape down from the center on the concentric. Lets me worry less about overlapping my swaths. Maybe I just got use to them with my Minelabs. I do know that they go just as deep in the soil around here as the concentric. (soil here reads in the low 60's on the MXT display) In a nutshell, I would say the Excelerator separates as well as the 4X6 shooter, goes deeper than the 4X6 shooter, separates better than the 6X9 Eclipse, but does not go as deep as the 6X9 Eclipse, separates better than the stock 9.5 concentric but does not go as deep as the 9.5 concentric. You can't always bet on it, but as a general rule of thumb with QUALITY coils, the smaller ones separtate better and the bigger ones go deeper. The trick is to find the right mix of sensitivity, stability and depth for the targets you are looking for in your specific soil mineralization. The Excelerator 5 inch DD coil would be a great coil for someone who was hunting in parks and other trashy areas where you needed to pull the rings and coins from in between trash. If you only have the stock 9.5 and want a good coil to work in mineralized and/or trashy areas, this one is well worth the money.