Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

experiences with the 11" DD?

The Magician

There's only one type out on the market today, it's for the uMax models, so I ask those who have used it, what are your experiences? Will it goive more depth over the 9x8? I use a Golden, I also wish they made an 11 or a 10 inch round. Not a big fan of elipticals.

I am getting one no matter what, placed an add in the classified section.

Are saying most possible depth is with both those coil or that the 12x10 is deeper? Just confused by your post.

The 9x8 is a strange coil, the first concentric coil I have dealt with. I have gotten used to it, but I really like DDs for VLF coin hunters. My cleansweep goes deeper than its width which is good for such a thin coil, this 11 DD interests me. I think the 12x10 will be hard to handle in parks.

One thing that I have noticed is that the more elliptical the coil, the more depth is lost which most people know, but how many people would know how an 8" round concentric would go against a 9X8 concentric? Both are the same width but the 9x8 has more length therefore it should go deeper, or should it?

What I'm trying to get at is all things being equal an 11" round IMO would go deeper than a 12x10. But not all is equal, the 11" is a DD. I wonder if there's anyone out there who's tried both.

That means a large coil can have many - multiple targets under it at any one time resulting in missed finds as a large coil will not see a coin in amongst or next to trash where as a small coil will see the coin.
Now a concentric coil enters the ground in a v shape and a widescan coil enters the ground in a straight sided u shape.
A ten inch concentric coil will will go deeper into the ground that what a 10" widescan coil will. (the 10" widescan coil will also be bigger than 10" , its just the way that the coils are wound,)
Large coils are best used on large fields that do not have much trash on them, small coils are best used on small fields with lots of trash on them.
A 18x3,1/2 clean sweep coil will cover a lot of ground but it will not go that deep, it will be best used for surface finds down to about 4 ".
I hope that this helps Les in the UK

I hunted a real super trashy park with mine when I first got it. (Picture 1)
High end pop tops do not disc out like a concentric, and it does pick up several signals at once in heavy trash.
It works at these sites if you have the patience, but a small sniper coil is better suited for that situation.

Picture 2 is a gold ring I found walking super fast and swinging very wildly looking for a "Hail Mary" signal in a large park area with way less trash...and I got one!
I am not sure the smaller concentric would have hit this with the smaller scanning field and the way I was swinging

This coil is fantastic for large areas like this.

I bought my coil from a relic hunter in Ga. that put it on his Vaq like me, but found it was way to hard to maneuver in the dense forest roots and underbrush.

REVIER said:
High end pop tops do not disc out like a concentric, and it does pick up several signals at once in heavy trash.

I bought my coil from a relic hunter in Ga. that put it on his Vaq like me, but found it was way to hard to maneuver in the dense forest roots and underbrush.

Discing out high end pop tops? Are you talking about using the notch filter? Either way, I'm mainly looking for depth on coins with this.

On your second point, according to Tesoro's website coil list, they don't make this coil for HOT detectors, or do they? Are you referring to the 12x10?

The Magician said:
REVIER said:

Discing out high end pop tops? Are you talking about using the notch filter? Either way, I'm mainly looking for depth on coins with this.

I use it on the Vaquero. (HOT technology).
The concentric coil is always going to be a little better as far as a little sharper disc.
These type of pop tops will usually disc out just before you hit max disc where dimes and quarters still stay in and they have a distinct sound compared to quarters.
With the DD, lots of these do not disc out anymore, and they sound more like a quarter tone.
Not sure how this works on a Golden.

On your second point, according to Tesoro's website coil list, they don't make this coil for HOT detectors, or do they? Are you referring to the 12x10?
Just look under Vaq coils on any website.
The 10X12's are there.

REVIER said:
The Magician said:
REVIER said:

I use it on the Vaquero. (HOT technology).
The concentric coil is always going to be a little better as far as a little sharper disc.
These type of pop tops will usually disc out just before you hit max disc where dimes and quarters still stay in and they have a distinct sound compared to quarters.
With the DD, lots of these do not disc out anymore, and they sound more like a quarter tone.
Not sure how this works on a Golden.

Just look under Vaq coils on any website.
The 10X12's are there.

Yes, but not the 11". I wasn't sure if you were talking about the 11" or the 12x10" in that post, now I know. :)

With notching out pulltabs, you will leave out higher conductive rings, most ladies rings are lower conductive so that's not too bad. Golden is my most used detector at the moment.

So a large solid coil would be a better choice for deep coins!? I can see where it would glide easier than a open face coil.
HH
Mike

Ok? So what 11" DD coil are we talking about? Solid enclosed round or open face DD coil and where are these available? Just a little confused!:surrender:
Thanks
Mike

CW(SC) said:
The 11inch solid DD is not as deep as say the 9x8,but close,with DDs you have fast ground coverage advantage.CW

Did you compare the 11" against the 9x8" out in the field or are you going by air test? DD handle ground mineralisation better, it may go deeper in ground. I hope so.