Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Expert advice needed

Has anyone used the Tesoro Vaquero in a salt water environment? I am wondering how it performs in wet salt / dry sand. I know they are VLF and that VLF doesnt do great in those kinds of places, but I guess I am looking for information from someone who actually uses their Vaquero in those environments.

Thanks and Happy New Year to All

Paul

Since no one's answered, I haven't used a Vaquero but have used a Tejon. In dry sand you should be good unless you hit heavy black areas. On the wet the Tejon was not really very happy. The only solution is to reduce the sensitivty. Here's a previous post on the Tejon at a Maine beach, sorry the pics are now gone from the post.

There are some Mass. guys that post on the Beach forum but I don't recall any using a Vaquero, you might ask there.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,64705,64705#msg-64705

HH
BarnacleBill

I havent tried it, but as BB said, I suspect youll be lowering your sensitivity in the wet salt sands. DO report back on your findings.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Paul!! I read a field test report on the TESORO CIBOLA by Ben Myers in last yrs. WESTERN & EASTERN TREASURE Magazine.
The CIBOLA is the same detector WITHOUT Manual ground balance, and he used it on a New Jersey Beach, which has MORE MINERALIZATION, than any Florida Beach. I know because, I've hunted both states saltwater beaches!! He stated in his report, that it PERFORMED Very Well/Smooth
in the WET SAND. But, if you go to the TESORO DETECTORS Company Website, you should be able to review the field tests fro any TESORO
DETECTOR. hh, lES

Hi Paul,
There are several VLF machines that perform well on salt water beaches.
The ones Ive personally used are the Xterra 70, the Shadow X3/X5, Sov, Explorer, Fisher CZs, MXT and I used a Tejon one summer beach hunting and it did pretty good. There are trades offs with some of these detectors on the wet sand, like with the Tejon raising the disc will help compensate for the wet sand and you really cant be scraping the wet sand with the coil or it will false alot.
I also forgot to mention the Tiger Shark, it will also run smooth in the wet sand. I would guess the Vaquero would do well also but to help it along you might want to get one of the DD coils for it, for when you hunt wet salt sand, like the one from the Lobo ST.

HH
Neil

I had a Vaquero and found that performance was greatly affected by accumulation of stuff between the coil and scuff plate. I would suggest removing it while hunting in those conditions to help stabalise it.