Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer Carrying Cases

A

Anonymous

I wasn't able to find a decent, protective case for my Explorer. If you can't either, here is a tip. I found a padded "Assault Rifle" case at a Gun Show that is great for the XS. It has 1 inch of closed cell foam padding on each side. It has a lot of pockets and pouches. The magazine pouch on the side is even long enough for the Battery packs. By taking down the detector at the control box, I have a package that is about 32" long by 12" high at the fat end of the case. In it I have, the Detector, Headphones, Digging tools, Kneepads (Desert Rocks are hard on old knees), 2 spare battery packs with NIMH AA's, ground cloth and everything else I need for a days hunting except food and drink. You can find "Assault Rifle" cases on the web for as little as $35 on up to whatever you want to spend. Compared to about $75 or $85 for even a decent "Padded Case for a Metal Detector" from the detector dealers, which still doesn't compare to the "AR" Case. I paid $50 for the one I got at the Gun Show. One tip is that the one I have is called "Boxed". Meaning that the zipper doesn't close the 2 halves directly together like a clam. There is about an inch and a half of material on each side between the padded section and the zipper. Kind of like an expansion space. It makes a big difference when trying to zip it up. There are longer cases (For full length rifles) for those who don't want to break down their detectors. I could maybe find a way to post a picture if needed.
Jerry

A good anvil brand flight case could be found on ebay and then then foam inserts could be cut to form fit the Explorer and extras.Those anvil cases you can drive a truck over.Those aluminum gun cases wallyworld used to sell would be neat too. My dad does leather work,holsters,knife sheaths,etc.maybe we could make one out of leather. But leather is high dollar.I do like the assault case idea though, maybe sew in more padding, although an inch thick would probably be thick enough.

Actually I have a Zero Haliburton Roll On case that I used to have my Spectrum XLT fitted to with foam. I had the case when I bought the XLT and noticed that it was the same dimension as the Hard Case sold by Whites. That conversion was easy. But it required taking the detector apart completely which becomes a time consuming chore. Although a hard case is great for checked baggage, I only need good padding and protection for driving trips. I tried fitting the XS to the same case and only accomplished wasting a lot of foam.
But, those few minutes from the time you arrive at the hunting spot, to the time you get your detector turned can seem like hours. With the Assault Rifle case everything is at hand and ready to go.
Jerry

I just meant for like the out of state hunts and overseas trips that alot of people here take. I would draw out your case and add the things with the assault case that you would change,like clip pouches smaller for battery packs,and maybe pouches for different coils,and send it to Ray at sunray and maybe he would produce one.

Ric,
That's a great idea. The thing that I would really like inside my case is a sleeve/seperator on one side to slide the coil end into to keep it away from the control box. For now I have a seperate pouch made of sweatshirt material that I slide the upper half of the detector into before it goes into the case. I also have a GPS, leather gloves, an old Navy Knife (for plugs) and things like that in the pouches on the outside. Now if SunRay could produce one of these fitted for the Explorer and Accessories at an affordable price, they could probably sell lots of them since as far as I can tell, the choices for a GOOD detector bag are pretty slim. (hint,hint) If the wonderfull guys at Sunray coud buy suitable cases in quantity, at a good price, then only a few changes would be needed to be a perfect Explorer Case.
Jerry

I hope this thread is OK with you all since it's technically not technical and having to do with the operation of the Explorer. (Yes I finally read the upper part of the page.)
Jerry

i bought a gun case for my explorer from a place call cheaper than dirt.com it is a soft case paid $20.00 for it #mgr-866 it has six pockets and one long pocket wrap around zipper .with some foam you can get extra protectan they also carry other neet stuff cheap give them a look there phone # is1-800-421-8047
ps i dont work for them i just buy form them
gurnie