Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer Coil depths

A

Anonymous

Reading the thread below, just thought I would throw in some of my findings with the coils I have used, first let me say I would be very suprised that the minelab 8 inch would get such a difference in depth over the SR 8 but not having one to compare yet I couldnt say. What I have found in the field as far as extremes is, my deepest coins using the 10 inch was a large cent at least 14 inches deep, and closer to 15, deepest dime was around 11 or 12 inches, both of these in fairly good ground with solid, but faint signals, good ground meaning not a lot of iron and little trash in the area, but most soil here is on the high side in mineralization. With the 8 inch I got a large cent at 9 inches, ground conditions fairly good but a bit more iron in the area than the other, good signal over the target with an iron thumo to the treshold going off the target.., but got a wheat at about 11 inches in good ground, both signals were faint but very repeatable and I figure another inch or so would have been possible on both. With the 5 inch I have gotten several coins(dimes/cents) in the 6 to 7 inch range that were pretty loud so I figure it will also get deeper also in the right conditions, just havent gotten one with the 5 with the weak response yet.. all my large cents found with the 5 inch were less than 6 inches and so I cant make a direct comparison to how deep it will get but would guess an 8 inch large cent would be very probable in equal conditions. if my findings hold true then the 10 inch would hold at least a 3 inch advantage over the 8 and the 8 a 3 inch advantage over the 5 in "fairly good" ground. all things being equal I think the 10 inch would have no problem consistantly getting 14 inch coins, 8 getting 11 inch coins and the 5 getting coins at 8 inches in fair ground. If the minelab 8 inch actually can get 2 inches over the sunray that would put it up to the 13 inch range which would be almost double its diameter since it really is just a hair over 7 inches, where the others seem to have about a 40 percent increase in depth over the diameter of the coil, So untill I try the minelab, I have reservations it can actually beat the sunray to that extent in actual hunting, Oh yeah I would add about 4 inches capability to the 10 inch on wet salt sand A large cent sized coin in wet sand should be very detectable at 18 inches with the 10. I havent had the other coils to the beaches yet, and probanly never will as there is no reason not to use the bigger coil that I can think of other than weight or if there is really a lot of iron or trash on that particular beach, the ones I hunt have been fairly clean...Jim