Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer crashed

brianfloyd

I've got an old explorer that bit the dust. I walked outside on day and it was making crazy noises then shut down and would not ever do anything after that. Nothing noise screen anything. Any suggestions? Anybody fix them in US overseas Est was about 230 U.S. dollar which is more than I really want to spend on a 14 yearish machine
Thanks Brian

I believe there is a way to reboot but my memory fails me...sure worth a try if someone can chime in with the procedure...I know over the years rebooted a Garrett and a Whites that worked...

Also might try another coil as coil problems can disable many units....

Check your warranty length, mine crashed about a year and a half ago just before the warranty expired (luckily). Minelab did (end the end) make things right but it was a SUPREME hassle the entire process ("How NOT to do customer service")
If it happened to me again I would probably just upgrade to the Etrac and keep trusty ol' Explorer for parts, The Minelab is worth it.

You might try Minelab first but, its doubtful they will service it anymore but, worth a try.
If they do not try MSR I have heard they do a great job. I have read some of users on here have used them and where very happy. They are In the U.K.
Here you go.
http://www.metaldetectorrepair.com

I Tried minelab they don't support what they sell at least that old. Left a little bad taste in my mouth, over a 1000 and no support. I was not expecting a freebie either. I did contact MSR and they said about 230 ballpark. I can't decide that's a little more than I want to spend. I have moved on to a f 75 and am really happy so far. I was just gonna get it fixed and have as a backup or sell it. Not so sure about Minelabs anymore though not trying to be neg just felt like I was left hanging.

I was curious which series of Explorer this is? If it is a later model, $230 to fix it wouldn't be that bad. Hope you figure something out. Lots of strange things with Minelabs. I found it hard to believe that Sunray quit making the inline probe. I am pretty sure there was still a market when they bailed out. I would love to have one but won't pay $300 bucks for one. Think I will get by with my Garrett PP and save the weight and money.

Don

Would imagine keeping in mind he has had for 14 years its an older model XS or 11 and would be cost prohibitive to put over 200 dollars in it. Seems like Sunray judging by past history only makes a product for a limited period of time but have to admit they sure make a good pricey product...

Yes it's xs about 14 yrs old. Really hadn't used it much in the last 11 yrs because of kids but trying to back to it and hope they will like a little as well. Someone just told me kellyco services detectors. I am gonna give them a call

IMHO $250. to spend is nothing for a detector that can reimburse you in less then one season of hunting easily. You cannot buy a detector on the market today for that same amount that has the proven depth and id capabilities as the XS.
Heck, if you decide not to fix it give me a shout I will buy it for a cheap price.:wiggle:

MikeO said:
IMHO $250. to spend is nothing for a detector that can reimburse you in less then one season of hunting easily. You cannot buy a detector on the market today for that same amount that has the proven depth and id capabilities as the XS.
Heck, if you decide not to fix it give me a shout I will buy it for a cheap price.:wiggle:

My sentiments on this too Mike . When they stopped making the Explorer I picked up an extra in case mine bit the dust . I was relieved to hear about the guy in England who fixes them . I've got the address just in case I have to have one repaired and a spare to use while it's away . I've got a lot of coils and accessories invested and am really comfortable with the Explorer . I live on a fixed income and the newer Minelabs
are more than I care to spend . I kind of figured someone would offer to take it off his hands . A good investment for sure to a buyer and also a few bucks in Brian's pocket .

I also have had problems with my SE.
1. The battery pack shorted out twice, it was sent back for repair but they did not notice that the two sides of the battery compartment didn't meet which allowed water to get in so now I just use rechargables. I think the fault may have been fixed with grease.
2. When down the beach the SE stopped working, nothing on the screen, I was so fed up with the thing that I put it out of the way in a room that had a dehumidifier in it to dry out a wall, after a few days I checked the machine and it came back on again and has worked since.
Maybe worth a try?

JAN1 said:
I also have had problems with my SE.
1. The battery pack shorted out twice, it was sent back for repair but they did not notice that the two sides of the battery compartment didn't meet which allowed water to get in so now I just use rechargables. I think the fault may have been fixed with grease.
2. When down the beach the SE stopped working, nothing on the screen, I was so fed up with the thing that I put it out of the way in a room that had a dehumidifier in it to dry out a wall, after a few days I checked the machine and it came back on again and has worked since.
Maybe worth a try?

JAN1- I know this is an older post but what was WATER doing around the battery? If the rubber end cap is proper and you're not putting it in the dishwasher,how does that happen? Condensation?

IDXMonster.
The problem with the SE was with the top shaft where the arm rest sits, the two parts were so badly fitted that during a small shower water ran down the shaft and into the battery compartment, it was sent back for repair but they didn't spot the problem and nore did I.
When I took the arm rest off and the battery out for cleaning you could see light coming through the gap so I filled it with lots of silicon grease which seems to have sorted out the problem but I will never buy another none waterproof detector.

JAN1 said:
IDXMonster.
The problem with the SE was with the top shaft where the arm rest sits, the two parts were so badly fitted that during a small shower water ran down the shaft and into the battery compartment, it was sent back for repair but they didn't spot the problem and nore did I.
When I took the arm rest off and the battery out for cleaning you could see light coming through the gap so I filled it with lots of silicon grease which seems to have sorted out the problem but I will never buy another none waterproof detector.

I see. ill have to take a look at my EX2 to make sure its fitted right in case I get caught out. I've been looking at the rain cover sets anyway just to keep the dirt and mud off it. Thanks for the "heads up".

MikeO said:
I see Explorer XS's pop up on that one auction site regularly and sell for around $350. I dumped Minelab several years ago for the same reasons. Me and my arm couldn't be happier.

Absolutely.. Condensation..Living in the south, this is what happens..Always store the machine in a case with a desecant pad..Also, dont leave it in your truck overnight.. Your just asking for it to happen..Storage is very important with Minelab but damn well worth it..