Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer has audio issues

detectorguy

My Explorer XS has issues with the audio going up and down. One problem I see is my 1/8" audio jack is loose. I don't know if that is the problem, but has anyone ever taken the Explorer apart and replaced it with better wiring and a 1/4" jack?

Does anyone have pictures of an Explorer being dis-assembled (not just taking the back off of the control head, but taking the rest of the unit apart)?

You may try the Minelab forums, here and the other one. I have seen it mentioned but don't remember where. To the best of my recollection, it is possible to replace it with a 1/4. I think I have read where Minelab has done it for some.

Yes, I've taken one open before.
1 Remove the top shaft and coil wire from the control section.
2 Remove rubber battery cover and battery pack.
3 Remove the arm cuff.
4 Remove the four screws that hold the control housing and display face panel together.
5 The housing should, with some effort, slide off the top shaft end of the assembly. Notice I said should! Many that have been repaired before have been super glued on.
6 Take out the screws that hold the two halves of the battery housing together.
7 You will have to cut off the black grip.
8 At this point you should be able to split the two halves of the housing apart.
9 The 1/8" jack is held in place with hot melt adhesive.
10 The good news is you can usually pick up a replacement 1/8" jack at Radio Shack or an electronic supply for $3 - 5. Bad news is a 1/4" jack is just physically too big to fit in the space of the existing jack.

Once you have fixed it. I've got something to prevent this problem in the future. If your interested, send me a message.

Good Luck!
Jeff

Jeff,

You don't have to cut off the black hand grip if you want to use them again, but you do have to remove it. I have changed several for people and you can roll them off and I wet them and roll the new one on.Trying to slide them will only tear them. The new replaceable grips now are the same that is on the new SE and more of a foam so it has a nicer feeling grip.

Thanks, Jeff. I printed it out and will work with it this weekend. Looks simple enough.