Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

explorer hotest coil.

thebug

There are lots of responses to which coil is the hotest and detects the deepest, such as the stock coil, the WOT over the regular explorer coil.

I see many answers such as finding coins at heavily hunted sites with the WOT and on and on. But as you all know time of day (morning) when soil is damp, after a rain, slow swings produces more find than in dry weather.

To make me a buyer on one of those coils I would like to know if someone has tested those coils in a test bed, i.e. placed a coin in the soil (not air test) at a certain depth (10/12 inches) in which the conventional coin did not detect it while the stock or the WOT coil picked it up. this would prove that this coil has an advantage over the regular coil.

This test would remove all doubt in my mind and would make me a strong buyer for that type of coil.

Thanks in advance

I have and EXP 2. I have a silver dollar buried at a measured 12 inches in my test bed. The Minelab 8 inch, and the Platypus will pick it up, and have a high pitch sound but the digital numbers are 31-31. With the detector in smart find the cursor is in the top left side. Now with the WOT, the silver dollar at 12 inches has a high pitch sound, the 00-28 or 29 and the cursor is in the top right side of the screen. This experiment taught me something. I have probably been leaving the deep coins in the ground. If I am using a smaller coil, and the target has a high pitch sound and the cursor is in in the top left side I now dig it. I recently dug a small silver, pewter button, the size of my little finger nail at 12 inches, signal tone and id numbers were for a dime, this was with the WOT. One thing the WOT is not for a trashy place, but in its place it is outstanding. I have never used other large coils by Sun Ray or the excellerator so I cant say about them. By the way my hunting partner has a Whites Prizm and it wont even make a beep on the silver dollar at a foot. When we hunt though he does find more new coins than I do but I normally find the deep older stuff.

I'm only about a month old with the Exp.(SE)& had seen a post earlier wondering how it was even possible tho get the high pitch signal with the crosshairs in the upper left while running in ferrous..hmmm..from here on out I'm gonna have to pay closer attention to the depth & also dig more signals...makes me wonder...

Greetings, tomtowns. Good point:super: makes me wonder too. I have dug 31-31, 12"deep and it has been nails:rant: Guess I will have to dig those targets too. Happy Hunting Grounds,

Savage (EX-II)

The absolute hottest coil for the Explorer is the FACTORY 10 or 10.5" coil, depending on whether or not your running a older Explorer or the new SE. No other compares in finds posted on the forums over the years.
Yeah there's plenty of other coils to select from and that's a GOOD thing ... but the factory coil can't be beat overall.
Granted, every other coil has it's place and time but Minelab boxed the Explorer with this coil for a reason, and it wasn't just a marketing ploy ... it works and works well !
Fact is ... the Explorer was designed around this coil so that alone should say something.
Settings,for the WOT, Sunray, and EXcellerator coils or whatever, are all site dependent, pure and simple.
The users understanding of his/her detector is what really makes the difference in the long run.
I've pulled more silver with the stock coil than any other ... and I have tried them all too, kept most and sold some that just didn't fit my style of hunting.
The 8" is easier for a new user to learn with and I will use it in the right spot/circumstance but mainly stick with the 10" for most of my hunting.
Just my 2 cents worth. :beers:

Good Hunting
Mike

Hi Bug,
I must say I agree entirely with Mike, the stock coil on the SE is red hot, I own a Platypus and a 15" WOT and while you will get the quoted 30% more depth with the 15" WOT, it's a very heavy coil. I still use it on the beaches so that I can go very deep and it covers a lot more ground in a sweep. I have found that the stock coil is excellent in parks and recreation areas and I while I have used the Platypus on the SE a couple of times I find that the stock coil is just as good and a little lighter to swing.
Hope this helps......Regards.....Boony