Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer II dying ?

dirt doctor

Recently , I lost about a quarter of my screens visibility . Has anyone ever come across this problem ? Other than that there are no other problems I'm aware of .

The picture seems ok to me.
What did you lose?
Mine had a few pixels burn out but nothing bad.
Have you tried a factory default after you record your settings?

Tony

Considering its age screen looks fine to me...perhaps your not explaining problem but from previous experience going back to factory presets works wonders for many units. As Tony says expect some loss of pixels due to age..

Tony + Dan , Thanks , I tried the factory rest several times but it was to no avail . I also opened it up and saw nothing obvious . I guess I'll just have to deal with living with the blown out pixels .I'm not going to put any money into it when it's done it's done .

It doesn't look anything like it's dying in either of the pictures of the screen you've posted.

The IRON MASK screen is the correct size and so is the other.

Use following link:

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11055/4901-0047Rev1.3%20Explorer%20II%20Manual.PDF

THE MINELAB EXPLORER II User Manual if you've not read it, to help.

Read Page 46

MODIFYING THE DISPLAY

Hope it helps you out.

David Di

It looks like the bottom quarter of the screen is non functional...is this what you see as well OP?

After reading IDXMonster's response to your post and then simply switching my Explorer 2 on, I see that yes you are correct in that there is a missing portion of the bottom section of the screen.

Sorry about my 1st "careless" response and not seeing this in the first place.

The only think I can think of that may help, unless you've already done so, is to re-seat by unplugging and plugging back together the connecting pins assembly of the Ex2 LCD screen or all 3 boards and the connections.

That will require to again open the control box and carefully unplug the first 2 boards from the LCD screen board. Naturally enough , if it's not the pin connections or a need to re seat them, then I guess it's all down to the componentry of each of the 3 main boards or the LCD display board itself.

Hope the following pictures of the display with Iron Mask as it should be and the picture of the internals of my long dead Explorer XS (very similar to Ex2) helps in conveying to you what I mean about the connection points that I speak of.

David Di

david.di said:
After reading IDXMonster's response to your post and then simply switching my Explorer 2 on, I see that yes you are correct in that there is a missing portion of the bottom section of the screen.

Sorry about my 1st "careless" response and not seeing this in the first place.

The only think I can think of that may help, unless you've already done so, is to re-seat by unplugging and plugging back together the connecting pins assembly of the Ex2 LCD screen or all 3 boards and the connections.

That will require to again open the control box and carefully unplug the first 2 boards from the LCD screen board. Naturally enough , if it's not the pin connections or a need to re seat them, then I guess it's all down to the componentry of each of the 3 main boards or the LCD display board itself.

Hope the following pictures of the display with Iron Mask as it should be and the picture of the internals of my long dead Explorer XS (very similar to Ex2) helps in conveying to you what I mean about the connection points that I speak of.

David Di

I 've taken it apart once before and saw nothing obvious .It still functions well other than the missing part of the screen picture .So I'm leaving it be and using it until something else goes wrong . When I took it apart I was a bit intimidated by the complexity of what I saw and I was just hoping to get it back together again without screwing something else up .Thank you very much for your input and pictures David Di .

Best coarse of action would be to contact Minelab tech support and get their estimate for repair.
If to expensive to repair then use the detector as long as possible and then sell it for the parts.
If you had the ability and skill ... and the needed parts were available ... you could do the repair.
Most electronic manufactures today will not do component level repair work but instead replace the entire faulty electronic board.
IF the replacement board is still available.

Although I am a master automobile technician,it sadly does not transfer to detectors! But I do believe that David’s advice is sound,because the entire section of screen is gone. This seems to me that a connection/re-seating of the connectors could very well solve this problem. But the OP can only do what he is comfortable with,and I would not recommend doing anything out of the comfort zone. Since it’s apparently USABLE now,no sense in making it NON functional in the process of trying to make it COMPLETELY functional. But I do think it would work. Now if the bottom quarter of the screen was all crazy looking and different intensities and all pixelated....then yeah,big issues.

IDXMonster said:
Although I am a master automobile technician,it sadly does not transfer to detectors! But I do believe that David’s advice is sound,because the entire section of screen is gone. This seems to me that a connection/re-seating of the connectors could very well solve this problem. But the OP can only do what he is comfortable with,and I would not recommend doing anything out of the comfort zone. Since it’s apparently USABLE now,no sense in making it NON functional in the process of trying to make it COMPLETELY functional. But I do think it would work. Now if the bottom quarter of the screen was all crazy looking and different intensities and all pixelated....then yeah,big issues.

Thanks IDX someday I might get the guts to give it a shot again . Both you and David's post are reassuring .

Tony in kc said:
totally agree on working on the explorer, I would have a mess..

Sometimes I get the urge to open it up again and give it another shot and then it passes . I did not see anything loose or broken when I opened it , so I'm figuring something is wore out and needs replacement . I'm not sure if Minelab repair centers would even have parts for the Explorer 2. So I'll just use it until it is totally unusable . I have an SE also but I always seemed to do better with an Explorer2 .