Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer II underwater?

I'm new to the forum. This may have been asked many times before but is there someone that can waterproof the explorer ll. Thanks Dwane

Here's a link to one of his posts in answer to my question about the very same thing...

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,249013,249321#msg-249321

There is somebody that has done a very nice job of waterproofing the Explorer II. He makes his own coils too. Not sure if he is making waterproof Explorer II setups for individuals on request or not, but you can ask. This is his web page.

http://www.detectorgear.com/index.htm

Here are some pics he posted on the forums a while back. I'm still in awe over them...nice work.

That early design while shiny and functional was too heavy and bulky in aluminum. Also not the best choice for a saltwater environment. Recently I went back to the drawing board, here are some pics.

Here's the battery pod parts, the headphones also attach here. The pod housing is polycarbonate as are the bulkheads and end caps. The black clamp and stand is for attaching to S and straight shafts. The black belt loop clamp top right is for hipmounting. Note these came off the mill this weekend and I still have to machine some material off the other side.

[attachment 15982 batterypod.jpg]

Here is the new housing formed in .125 thick ABS (I can stand on it tough) yet is much lighter than aluminum and will not corrode in saltwater. The stock Explorer housing fits inside this.

[attachment 15981 housing4.jpg]

You da Man, I can't wait to see it all put together (finished product).
It's guy's like you that help make this hobby great. :clap:
H.H.
Mike

I spent this evening rethinking how to fixture these parts. I had planned to toss them on the Kurt vise to machine off the other side but they are too flexible as it turns out. I have easily spent 3x as much time thinking about how to fixture the parts than designing them.

Awesome work, my hat is off to you. I sure that you could definitely sell this mod once you feel comfortable with it. I would look for a used XS or S just to mod it out for the water. Only have to learn One machine basically and it would share the coils I already have.
Thanks for the pics.
Shawn

The 3D CAD software saves quite a bit in wasted materials, though the 3D CAD software cost $4,500 so maybe that will pencil out to a savings in a few years. lol

But overall yes, its expensive to R&D these things. All the parts you see in the pics will get tossed on the scrap pile for example. As it turned out, the parts were not rigid enough to hold in the Kurt vise to machine the other side so they are now paper weights.

Hey if it was easy it'd be boring.

Charles. Love the 'carvings'.

I ran an electronics/physics lab for 30 years, and always enjoyed walking into the mechanical workshop and watching items being machined.

Another passion was woodworking....the smell of wood-shavings and the various timbers, was like walking in the garden of Eden.

Do you play with electronic CAD as well?

So much to enjoy...so much to explore...

..but meanwhile it is flying, irretrievable time is flying...MattR.UK

I built one of these with the help of Max. I love mine can't wait until it warms up around here so I can get it wet. I have sumurged it in the sink for a hour with no leaks. Have done a little land hunting with it and even with the WOT coil it is so much lighter with the batteries and the control box off of the shaft.