Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer II Wet Sand problem

tomflkeys

I recently purchased an Explorer II with a 15 WOT. I have no problem in dry sand but when I go to the wet sand it faulses constantly. I tried factory setting, I tried setting channel manually to 1. No cell phone is on (I do net even own a cell phone). I took the coil cover off. All of the wires and connections look good. The coil looks almost new. If I turn the sens down to 3 it stops faulsing but the depth is only about 2 inches. I have an Excalibur that works great (on the same beach). I tried 3 different beaches about 40 miles apart. Any ideas?

Does it false with other coils? Smaller then the WOT?
Have you turned the gain down?
Have you done Noise Cancel?
Have you tried another beach with it?

Thank you for your help.
Yes I have tried noise cancel numerous times.
I do not have another coil and am in the process of getting one.
yes, I have tried to lower gain.
I tries it on 3 beaches about 40 miles apart.

Thanks again for your help.

You might want to post on the Excalibur forum some of those folks have used Exp II on the beach.
I had an issue with faulting on a beach but It was in a small area and as I put the coin into the water. So in my case it was an iron infested area but the rest of the beach I was ok.
I know it is frustrating but make sure your coil wire is tight and secure when attaching it to the unit.

Assuming this is a salt water beach...you cannot touch the WOT coil (or any coil) to the wet sand, you need to hold the coil up off the wet sand an inch or so. Salt water is electrically conductive. Other things that will cause any coil but especially the WOT coil due to its size to false is tipping the coil up slightly at the end of your swings, again a wet salt sand thing. You need to keep the coil flat and parallel to the sand and not tip it up at the end of your swing.

Even more things that can cause the machine to false on a wet salt water sand, touching the coil to a clump of seaweed. There's also typically a dividing line on the wet sand, a transition from sopping wet sand and only damp wet sand. If you are walking parallel to the water, swinging your coil back and forth over this transition line from sopping wet to damp this again can upset the ground balance and you can get a false.

Get yourself an Explorer SE Pro coil, best damn coil ever made for hunting saltwater beaches. The WOT coil will wipe out your arm and shoulder beach hunting, been there done that. The SE Pro coil is slim, lightweight, HAMMERS small gold and silver jewelry. Stay away from the original Explorer and Explorer II coils the coil housings are NOT waterproof, once salt water gets inside them they will false like crazy and the salt will corrode the shield drain wire ruining the coil. You might get away with 1-2 dunkings, it might still work after it dries out, but it only takes one dunking to ruin them. Also stay away from the Explorer SE slim line coils, they are crap false-o-matic coils.

Here's some beach hunting inspiration, all dug with the Explorer SE Pro coil.

gold1.jpg

Tip #2 - I sometimes detect parallel to the water, while this can produce more false signals due to ground balance issues, my ears are used to the difference between a real target and a false signal so I don't really think much about it, unless I'm on that wet/damp transition line and the 5 feet of coil swing is crossing that and annoying me with a false every swing.

For a guy who's new to hunting salt water beaches with an Explorer here's a tip, instead hunt from the top of the beach down to the water, then turn around and hunt back up to the top of the beach in that direction. When you hunt in this direction the ground balance really isn't changing during your swing, you swing, take a step forward, the ground balance doesn't change that much taking just one step, so the machine is pretty stable. When you are detecting parallel to the water especially of the beach is sloped the ground balance can change quite a bit in just one swing.

I run my sensitivity at 26 on a salt water beach with the SE Pro coil. Gain 6 to 7. Sensitivity is KING not gain.

Everything that you said makes sense. I can not wait to try your ideas. It might be a week before I can try some (might take more time to get a new coil), and
I will let you know the results. Thanks for your help.

Charles,

What size SE Pro coil do you use or is there only 1 size SE Pro coil?
Also, in buying a used coil, how do I tell the difference between a SE slimline and a SE Pro coil?

Thanks,

Tom

tomflkeys said:
Charles,

Also, in buying a used coil, how do I tell the difference between a SE slimline and a SE Pro coil?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom...just Google Minelab Explorer Slimline Coil and ETrac stock coil. Only one size Pro Coil,11"

tomflkeys said:
Charles,

Thanks,

Tom

The Pro Coil is 11" while the slimline is 10.5"