Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer Modification/Broken Explorer wanted!

Hello,
I haven't posted enough to put this on the classifieds. Hope it is okay to post here. I need the plastic battery box/handle part of an Explorer if you have one. I have modified two now and I like the second one best. Unfortunately I did not keep the extra parts from the first mod. Here is a pic of my second one that I've been using. Let me know and thanks - Robin
ExpIIMod2.jpg

Wait…what? I had to look at that a second to figure out what had happened!😂 How does it balance out Robin? You just like the idea of the pod being up higher or what’s the main reasons for the mod? Pretty cool!

Wait…what? I had to look at that a second to figure out what had happened!😂 How does it balance out Robin? You just like the idea of the pod being up higher or what’s the main reasons for the mod? Pretty cool!
Here is how it got that way. I wanted to use a Nox carbon fiber shaft for less weight. I kept trying to design a battery box with headphone jack. I finally gave up and just cut off the handle. Worked like a charm and has stand to boot. The balance is still a little nose heavy, and the straight shaft takes some getting use to. I like it though. My previous mod had the sunray probe too, which I dropped because of wight. I now use the garret carrot. Sunray worked better but the machine feels much lighter. Here is the previous mod. Had decent balance but didn't really have a weight reduction. Too long, and sometimes was in the way behind my elbow. Not bad though. That's an x-terra shaft and handle. I put a vinyl cover over the battery. Now it is laying in pieces in the garage. That's why I want another battery box. As soon as you throw it away, you need it, haha. Thanks - Robin

Attachments

• ExplorerMod.jpg
    ExplorerMod.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 236
Here is how it got that way. I wanted to use a Nox carbon fiber shaft for less weight. I kept trying to design a battery box with headphone jack. I finally gave up and just cut off the handle. Worked like a charm and has stand to boot. The balance is still a little nose heavy, and the straight shaft takes some getting use to. I like it though. My previous mod had the sunray probe too, which I dropped because of wight. I now use the garret carrot. Sunray worked better but the machine feels much lighter. Here is the previous mod. Had decent balance but didn't really have a weight reduction. Too long, and sometimes was in the way behind my elbow. Not bad though. That's an x-terra shaft and handle. I put a vinyl cover over the battery. Now it is laying in pieces in the garage. That's why I want another battery box. As soon as you throw it away, you need it, haha. Thanks - Robin
Great job!

I'm going to do this over the weekend, the sawing and wiring is no problem. I just wanted to know your method for atatching the detector unit to the top of the handle?

I'm going to do this over the weekend, the sawing and wiring is no problem. I just wanted to know your method for atatching the detector unit to the top of the handle?
Hello TBM, I had one small bracket welded up (parts from Ace hardware) and one I fashioned out of a U-shaped piece of aluminum. Note I ground the aluminum one down a lot, into the shape that fits the control housing. Only two screws actually attach the housing (circled in red in third photo) Those screw into the plastic housing. Make sure you drill the right size so the screws thread themselves. There is hardly room for nuts and you will spend an hour trying to get the nuts on the screws. Once it is assembled like the photos show, I put a bead of clear silicone all the way around the large bracket to help hold the housing and make it water resistant.

I would plan on more than one weekend to do this unless you are really good with your hands. Note I used an Anderson Detector Shafts handle for an X-Terra (they put a bushing in the open end (fits small bracket) Call them and request that if you want. Measure twice cut once. Hope this helps! See attached.

Anderson Detecting Shafts: https://www.andersondetectorshafts.com/collections/replacement-parts
Detect-Ed Shaft: https://www.amazon.com/Detect-Ed-Ca...t=&hvlocphy=9017287&hvtargid=pla-745344870403

Attachments

• brackets.jpg
    brackets.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 222
  • Underside1.jpg
    Underside1.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Underside2.jpg
    Underside2.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 222
Wow what a great post! So I already have an Anderson xterra shaft so I will be using it, I have some aluminum from anoter project I was going to use. It didn't occur to me to use both steel and aluminum, as I can do what you did int the picture and weld a steel bracket to the bushing and then screw it to an aluminum plate. I will post picutes as well Thank You sir.

Wow what a great post! So I already have an Anderson xterra shaft so I will be using it, I have some aluminum from anoter project I was going to use. It didn't occur to me to use both steel and aluminum, as I can do what you did int the picture and weld a steel bracket to the bushing and then screw it to an aluminum plate. I will post picutes as well Thank You sir.
TBM, Best of luck to you in your mod project.

You are welcome. Best of luck on the Mod.

Here is my explorer 2 shaft swap over. The first thing I did after taking it apart was replace the capacitor that seems to give some people problems with start up, which I started to experience, The second pictures shows a bracket I made out of some metal strap from the hardware store. I found a wrench socket that fit snug into the top of the shaft handle and welded it to the bracket, I then painted it black and drilled and thraded a hole for a screw to keep the control box bracked centered in the handle. Third picture shows how the bracked is fastened to the control unit with expoxy glue, rivets and washers. The wiring was tricky but goes through the handle and out the bottom were it rejoins the origional batterypack and headfone jack. the battery unit is atatched with hose clamps.

Attachments

• 20211211_214402.jpg
    20211211_214402.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 226
  • 20211212_183224.jpg
    20211212_183224.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 229
  • 20211212_200756.jpg
    20211212_200756.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 227
  • 20211212_231441.jpg
    20211212_231441.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 233
  • 20211213_003711.jpg
    20211213_003711.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 239
Here is my explorer 2 shaft swap over. The first thing I did after taking it apart was replace the capacitor that seems to give some people problems with start up, which I started to experience, The second pictures shows a bracket I made out of some metal strap from the hardware store. I found a wrench socket that fit snug into the top of the shaft handle and welded it to the bracket, I then painted it black and drilled and thraded a hole for a screw to keep the control box bracked centered in the handle. Third picture shows how the bracked is fastened to the control unit with expoxy glue, rivets and washers. The wiring was tricky but goes through the handle and out the bottom were it rejoins the origional batterypack and headfone jack. the battery unit is atatched with hose clamps.
Nice job on the mod! How do you like it now? Best of luck finding!

Neat,

Which capacitor did you replace? What value. I need to order a bunch from Digikey, probably should order that one too. I've had my EX for 20 years now, still behaves.

Thanks,

Chris(SoCenWI)