Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer nut and bolt help.

amustel

Hello.
I've just purchased an extra coil for my Explorer XS (detech 14"). Upon receiving it I realized that the black plastic bolt I use for my stock 10.5" and 7.5" Minelab coils is too big to enter the Detech coil. I just wanted to test it, so I used a metal bolt and a wingnut. It worked fine so far however I understand that plastic bolts must be used to attach coils to the lower rod, so please tell me if this is a no-no. (Detector just seem to ignore the metal bolt and wingnut). Should I find a plastic bolt of minor diameter that fits the detech coil? Where can I find such plastic bolts and nuts, if it is absolutely necessary? Thanks!

Use a 5/16 drill and make the hole in the coil bigger

metal bolt is not best solution!or even worst! if it will come lose its will start to inter fear for excelerator you can use wright diameter toilet seat bolts, they are cheap,plentiful and strong.

Your machine may seem to ignore the metal bolt (because the bolt is moving in tandem with your coil), but I'm sure your machine's ground balance is not correct. It made the necessary adjustments and canceled out the bolt, but your machine won't be running optimally for best depth. Yes, like the others have said, only use a plastic bolt/nut.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Lowe's, Home Depot and some of the Sears hardware stores have good selection of plastic nuts and bolts. You may want to put on two nuts to reduce chance of loosening. Good luck.

Thanks to all you for the responses, I will try to find the plastic nut and bolt.
It makes sense that I should not use a metal bolt even if the machine seems to ignore it, what Dan said is true!

I dissagree with resizing the coil mounting hole. These are usually designed with certain tolerances to allow for the intended forces incountered while swinging the coil. I would definately get an appropriate nylon assembly. Just my 2 cents. :)

Harold