Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer SE is very impressive

Merlin cadogan

I have recently bought a Minelab explorer SE. But since then the tidal times have been wrong for ideal searching. Despite this my son and I found a silver six pence from 1813 on our first search which amazed me!
Today the weather was terrible, and very windy. We had decided to go metal detecting further out towards the low tide line.
We braved the elements and I began searching. After a few minutes a solid flutey signal. I looked on the screen, and it was more than halfway down on the depth bar. The crosshairs were towards the top right of the screen. My boy started jumping about because the signal sounded so sweet! I began digging with my full metal jacket sand scoop. The sand was hard packed and hard digging. We got down about 8-10 inches, and there was a flash of Gold! I lowered the scoop and my son crowded over, he reached in and pulled out....a bullet case!
He thought it was the best find ever!
We braved the wind and then the rain for another 15 minutes and the explorer SE managed to pick up 3 more bullet cases, it was time to seek shelter so we called it a day.

On the way to the beach my son had been saying that he thought we would find bullets if we searched further down the beach. He was super happy as we found 4 bullets and proved his theory right! It was good to see my son prove himself right, and to see the boost in self confidence that it gave him .

I love metal detecting!
it is great on so many levels!!

When we got home my new explorer SE was also looking a bit smug in the corner, as it had managed to locate these 4 bullet cases that were all very deep, In a short 15 minute search, very impressive!
I think i will need to buy a pointer locator tool, to help me locate the target better, can anyone advise me on which one would be best for on the beach and in the sea use.
Many thanks, and good luck,
Merlin

Great post !! Sounds like you had a super good hunt with your son and braving the elements as long as you could , This is the stuff of which lasting memories are formed .The Explorer is a great detector for sure .
If you've got the bucks The SunRay X-1 inline probe is the way to go with the multi tones . If weight or finances are an issue the single tone Garrett Pro-pointer is an excellent choice .

H H ,
George

[size=large]there are pros and cons for getting an in-line probe or the handheld. the garrett pro pointer is the best in the market for hand held. it can be used with any machine. the in-line are made for specific machines. the hand held can be lost if you don't take real care on using it. the in-line is attached to the machine. the hand held has better depth in the hole and if there's metal in the hole it will tell you. the in-line isn't as good on depth or finding the target quickly. it does tell you the same info your machine does. i'd pay attention to the you tube videos and see who has what problems and what may work for you. there are those who get both.

HH[/size]

OK, I am going to chime in on this one... I have both the Sun Ray X-1 and a Garrett Pro Pointer. The X-1 is on my Explorer SE, and I had to get the Pro Pointer when I got my CTX-3030 since there isn't an in line pointer made for it. On the ones I have, the in line Sun Ray is MUCH more sensitive than the Garrett, and if there is iron in the hole with your coin (or whatever non ferrous target you are going for) the Sun Ray will let you know which one you are digging toward, since it is like a very small coil attached to your machine. All you have to do is look at your screen or listen to the tones and you will know what is close to the pin pointer. It is also waterproof up to its control box that mounts on your upper shaft. The only problem I have had with the Sun Ray is FORGETTING to flip the switch from pin pointer back to coil after digging a target, and then wondering where all the targets in the ground have gone, only to notice how the switch is set and then have to backtrack to the last find and start searching again. I have had no problems with the Garrett at all, it just doesn't seem to be nearly as sensitive to me, and it will respond to ANY metal close to its tip, whether it is the coin you are looking for, or a nail, and can send you in the wrong direction until you get the trash cleared out of the way. I LOVE my CTX-3030 but I REALLY miss not having a Sun Ray on it!! Just my .02 worth...
HH
Joe

Merlin cadogan said:
We braved the wind and then the rain for another 15 minutes and the explorer SE managed to pick up 3 more bullet cases, it was time to seek shelter

Merlin, what type of weatherproofing were you using? Just curious.

Hi guys, thank you for the post about the right tool for pin pointing the target. I will wait until payday and buy a garret pro pointer I think.
Wellwood I have taken no waterproofing steps, I just cover over the screen part of the detector with my hoodie until the rain has past, or as on this occasion I covered it until we were back in the car. The coil and body are waterproof, it's just the screen bit that isn't waterproof I was told. Is this ok? I try to take great care with my explorer, it's such a good piece of kit. I bet they sell covers for the screen....
Good luck guys,
Merlin

Merlin, They do sell environmental covers for your detector. Personally I would be uncomfortable in the conditions you described
without some protection. To be sure with wind/rain on a saltwater beach the rain will be saturated with the ocean saltwater/spray..
don't forget the exposed speaker in the rear and coil connector underneath the control head. Maybe some of the other
more experienced than I will chime in. GLHH.

Here is one cover, there are several others.

http://www.seriousdetecting.com/product/minelab-control-box-cover/

Thank you Wellwood, I will take your advice and look in to some protection. You sound like you know your explorers, is it best to search on the factory setting on the beach, or should I adjust it? Any hints and advice will be appreciated, I'm new to the explorer!
Good luck,
Merlin

I have had to tell my Explorer to "Shut Up!!" a few times, but aside from that we are one .. and firmly attached at the hip ! :laugh:

Get the subray probe!