Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer SE nulling

Charles (Upstate NY) said:
Kapok did you try that site again in all metal to see if it was targets causing the nulls or soil?

Well, here's what I'm up against. The first photo shows what the ground looks like at this park. The second shows what's underneath in a lot of places--just big patches of old, crumbling iron. Sometimes there's not much solid material left, just clumps of rusty sand. That's where the detector nulls. It's a wonder I've ever found anything here at all, but we've pulled a few Barbers, Mercs, and old wheat cents. Gotta find somewhere easier.

Actually that place is the best place to look because everyone gives up there just like you want to.
If I were there I'd go low and slow and just pick out the high sounding hits in the midst of the iron low tones.
But that's just me.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
I would use just enough Iron Mask to keep the heavy iron from constantly thumping in my ears.

I would go there when the soil is bone dry, bone dry soil shuts iron up e.g. makes it much smaller you can get in close to it. I'd use an 8 inch coil Explorers go DEEP in sand, crank the sensitivity, grip it and rip it. One of my Barber half dollars was sitting next to a 2 inch chunk of iron hiding for years in a spot that has been pounded.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
I would use just enough Iron Mask to keep the heavy iron from constantly thumping in my ears.

I would go there when the soil is bone dry, bone dry soil shuts iron up e.g. makes it much smaller you can get in close to it. I'd use an 8 inch coil Explorers go DEEP in sand, crank the sensitivity, grip it and rip it. One of my Barber half dollars was sitting next to a 2 inch chunk of iron hiding for years in a spot that has been pounded.

It's amazing how deep the X-8 will get in many places. Absolutely the favorite coil I own out of EVERYTHING. Best balanced too,IMO.

IDXMonster said:
Tony N (Michigan) said:

It's amazing how deep the X-8 will get in many places. Absolutely the favorite coil I own out of EVERYTHING. Best balanced too,IMO.

I have used the Minelab 8" coil. You'd think being a smaller coil it would be lighter than the stock coil but it isn't. But, yea, it's great for tight spaces.

I've also noticed that I have to wait until after sweeping a signal for the cursor or the ID numbers to update. It doesn't move or change while I'm over the target. I have to stop my swing and wait for a second before it changes. Is this normal? It seems like an awfully slow way to hunt.

I have the same thing happen to my Explorer XS and SE Pro at times. It could be there is either too much disced out or it could
be just trying to figure out all the stuff that's down there in the soil. It doesn't happen all the time. When it does, I sometimes just life the coil
and let it reset or I do the Minelab wiggle where you just wiggle the coil a teeny amount left and right.
I don't know what else could do it unless it's some sort of electrical interference. Charles NY might know.

The audio circuit is the most instant and accurate,the screen is a separate circuit and has to do some "thinking" about what it wants to display. Hence the delay in the display...the way I understand it.

Kapok said:
I've also noticed that I have to wait until after sweeping a signal for the cursor or the ID numbers to update. It doesn't move or change while I'm over the target. I have to stop my swing and wait for a second before it changes. Is this normal? It seems like an awfully slow way to hunt.

That's normal, in short order you will hunt by tones so no need to look at the screen at all until you 'hear' a target of interest. You will hear 'that' tone, say fluty silver, big silver, Indian cent, all are distinct THEN when you have a fish on you work the target and go to the screen for confirmation. Shorten your swings over the target to 2-4 inches wide, try to let the Explorer latch on to 'that' tone. Give it 3-4 quick short sweeps then stop the coil off target, let it sit motionless while the Explorer works its magic on all the target info you just fed it and position the cursor.

On more iffy targets co-located nail/coin, trash/coin, nail/trash/coin, you may feed the Explorer several times watching the cursor bounce patterns. You may circle the target looking for a better angle where it latches onto the coin better. You should check a coil size area around the target for other nearby iron and trash that may be interfering. On the worst of these its okay to dig the shallow trash out of your way. When I started I thought I wanted to go deep, that going deeper would produce more finds, finds so deep other detectors couldn't reach them. And there are some deep targets out there. But I found there are far more targets that are not that deep, they are just hiding near rusty nails and trash, the Explorer is legend for getting a piece of those good targets hiding in the shadow of iron and trash. For years just when I thought I dug the worse most horrible signal I ever heard and found a good coin, I'd find one even more horrible lol. Which is a good thing, there are many levels to achieve in mastering the detector so the finds just keep coming.

Kapok said:

Also, If you feel you just have to, you can always push down the start button and hold it until the detector goes back to it's original settings. That is a last effort if I had to do it. I have done it before just to see what the factory settings were again.
If you do this you will have to set your gain to the way you like it.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
Kapok said:

Also, If you feel you just have to, you can always push down the start button and hold it until the detector goes back to it's original settings. That is a last effort if I had to do it. I have done it before just to see what the factory settings were again.
If you do this you will have to set your gain to the way you like it.
Tony, I did that yesterday. I put the gain, variability, recovery, tones, and other options back to where I like them.

Got my pro coil today but may not be able to test it out for a few days. Chomping at the bit to give it a whirl.

Kapok said:
Got my pro coil today but may not be able to test it out for a few days. Chomping at the bit to give it a whirl.

You can always walk around inside the house with it and make beeping sounds. Nice purchase!