Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EXPLORER XS coil plug pins

A

Anonymous

Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone here knows the pin configuration of the Explorer XS coil.
I want to try and make me a new coil, (I have a few designs from a German fellow which seem good) but I dont know the pin config of the detectors plug (ie, which winding goes to what pin, which coil is the RX and which the TX).
If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Regards
Efgenios
Greece

The only reason I want to make me a new coil for my Explorer is that my old coil has been damaged and Minelab will not reply to my emails to give me any help here....(moneys too tight to mention right ow and I cant afford a new coil....so I have to make my own).
thanks

The detector was loaned to a friend of mine who is now in my "i dio t" box of people...he got the lower part of the cable (the exposed part that goes inside the coil) cought on something and he pulled real hard on it....the result was that the cable was snatched from the inside of the coil together with the fixing screw and some plastic from the top of the coil cover and thats the end of the coil...!!!
The lower stem fixing connector was also damaged (where the pin goes) but I managed to repair that.
I have opened the coil and the cables are ripped from the coil itself. I have managed to find three of the wires from the coil (after scrapping the black epoxy carefully and I have stopped there for now, but will continue doing so to expose the fourth if it exists which I havent found yet) but I dont know which color cable goes to which of the two coils so even if I expose all 4 wires on the coil, I still dont know which color from the cable goes to which coil wire, and im not sure if I will be able to repair it without doing damage to the coil because I cant find the end of the fourth coil wire.
So, in the event I cant do anything with this coil, IF I knew which was the RX and which the TX coils (and the pins they go to) I will try to make me a new coil with some designs I have from this German website.
And even if I manage to repair this one, I would still like to try and make me one of those coils that I have designs for (just to try them out...ya never know...).
Anyway, sorry for the long reply...hope this helps you, though it helps me not, because I still dont have an answer to my original question....:)
thanks
Efgenios

There are only 4 wires, its a 5 pin plug but 1 pin is not used. There should be two thick wires and two thin wires. The thick will be TX, and should be Litz. The thin will be RX. RX will measure about 6 ohms resistance. TX will measure about 1 ohms resistance.
Out of the Explorer control box, TX will have a measurable VAC, RX will not. Unfortunately both wires are coded white ( 2 conductors, each individually shielded). Pin assignments are not too much help to you since you are downstream of both the male and female connectors. Well make sure you get the correct wire/shield for TX and for RX, then you have a 50/50 shot at getting it right. As you probably already know, TX needs to be wired in the opposite direction of RX e.g. clockwise & counterclockwise. I have heard that this is a rare case where two wrongs make a right. If the factory method is to wire TX clockwise and RX counter clockwise and you get this backwards, it will still work! If you wire them the same direction, the machine will give you a disagreeable noise, it will be obvious its backwards, just reverse one in that case.

At last..!!!
Charles comes to the rescue...!!!
I cant thank you enough Charles. I will now be able to try and repair it.
The only thing now is finding the fourth wire on the coil because I have scrapped much of the epoxy around the original location where the cable joined but havent found the fourth one...but so far I have measured and found that two of the wires have 6.4 ohms (so I guess this is the RX side of the coil).One last thing to trouble you with (im a pain, I know but pls be patient), I have found the end of the ground shield that wrapps around the coil itself (the wire thats twisted around the coil on the outside of the epoxy). Does this one go to any ground of the cable or is it left in open air and does the conductive shield on top of the epoxy get grounded too or is that left in open air as well? (one of the coil designs I have from a german fellow shows these to be left open and another has them grounded so im not sure how my minelab one should be).
ps, If I manage to repair this coil I will post pics of the work to show you how it all went....(just to prove to those who doubted me that indeed I have a damaged coil).
Best regards
Efgenios

That wrap around wire is the drain wire for the grpahite shielding paint, it should be connected to the RX shield wire. Good luck with the repair!

efgenios, I have a coil that i hit really hard on a tree last winter hunting in the woods and it quit working. It is all together and might help you repair your coil. If you want it let me know and you can have it. I will send it to you no charge. You may even be able to repair this one. I live in Rockford, Illinois

Dear James,
Your offer is suprising and very appreciated.
Not many people these days are as generous as you and im stoked.
I would normaly take you up on the offer, but not for free...I dont live in the States and would not want you to pay the cost of sending it to me as well.....I live in Greece in case you werent aware of this....quite a long way from the States.
If you dont have any need for the coil anymore (by the way I assume its an explorer coil right?), I would be happy to buy it from you or at least cover your postage expenses...
Let me know the cost, or what you want for it.
Thanks again .
Kind regards
Efgenios