Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

explorer xs damaged

A

Anonymous

hi,
I'm Italian,I have this problem:my explorer xs has stopped to work!
If I turn on the xs and I direct the coil on air, the xs don't sound,if I touch the cable around the connector around control box it play many souds,if i put the bronze coin at 3 cm distance of coil,it don't play sound;
for play sound I must scour the coin on the coil.
when I go in field the xs play sound everywhere.
Someone can help me and sorry for my bad english

Ciao Alessio,
I think that the cable or the coil connector into the Explorer control box might be the problem. If certain ones of these 4 wires were to cross and short out you will lose ALL your presets.
If one or more of these wires is not connecting properly , then it would do very much the same as the problem you describe. You may need to do or get some resoldering done.
Ciao
Davide Di

First of all, Thank you for your previous answer.
My resolder says Explorer cannot be restored and, at least, it could be sent in USA for an expensive repairing (but I'm in Italy!).
If I touch with the finger the 5 connector pins from the connector control-box, then it appear me the same as I connect the coil connector.
So I think the probleme is into the cable between the connector and the coil.
None of the 4 wires are disconnected from the coil connector. What I could do?
thanks a lot

If your reseller has another Explorer, ask him if you can try one of his coils for a couple of minutes to check yours. Any coil from an Explorer XS, S or II will work. If his coil works, the rest of your machine is okay and all you have to do is buy another coil.
Good Luck Alessio!
-Rhoderman

I do not know nobody that has the explorer,and my reseller does not have any.
My friend have a gt16000,the coil of gt16000 it's ok to try?
thanks
Alessio

I did actually try a gt16000 coil a long time ago and realised that it did NOT work properly with the Explorer.
<span style="background-color:#ffff00;"><STRONG>First off, and I am just checking, have you done THE "reset" to the on board default settings at startup, by holding the ON button down for a little longer?</STRONG></span>
If so and you still have a problem then I suggest you send your detector to Minelab.
There are a few other possibilities.
Setting the detector off when you touch the bare metal of coil connector will usually happen when you have the sensativity right up on in MANUAL and I recall also that this happens in SEMI_AUTO and with coil connected or disconnected.
I do not believe that in touching the coil connector and causing Explorer to sound off is any part of the problem.
Have you maybe dropped your detector recently? If you have then there is a possibility that the internal pcb's are dislodged. This may require you to open the control box up and re-seat the boards.
The coil connector that comes out of the control box MAY have been pulled out of it's cradle. If this is the case(and it is a very noticable if this IS the case because there will be exposed wires OUTSIDE of the control box). This can happen if you have been swinging the Explorer and the WHOLE shaft assembly and coil have popped out of the cam lock from the control box and the combined weight and swing motion have pulled on the coil contector and dislodged it)You will then have a critcal situation that should be corrected.
Have you exposed Explorer control box to any excessive moisture?
Has the coil been subjected to an impact and maybe the internal coil frame has cracked or broken a whire? This is not noticable usually just by looking at it.
The coil pins have to have continuity in pairs. Ther are five pins but only 4 are used . Use a mutimeter to check that there are two pairs of pins that connect to make the two coil circuits of the double "d" coil that the stock coil is.
Hard Nosed

thanks for your interest,
I heve been done the reset but the problem remains,I don't have dropped my detector but tomorrow (the time here is 1 of night)I open the control-box and check the pcb.
Wires are not exposed outside the box.
No, shaft assembly and coil not have popped out of the cam lock from the control box.
last time that I have used the xs (and he work)there was much fog and humidity, after approximately an hour he has stop to work.
The coil has not subjected to impact and I have look within the coil in the hole where the wires pass but the wires are not disconnected.
At this time I do not have a multimeter, this test I will be able to make it monday.
Thanks to all for your response and I hope that you can help me.

hi,
Ihave done the test with the multimeter and effectively only one pair of pins that connected.
what I can make?
Thanks