Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

explorer xs how much different than other explorers

destructo

bought an explorer xs from a forum member and was wondering how much different than other explorers. had a explorer se and had to sell. now trying to get back into detecting again though too dry. tried out for an hour and seems to me about the same as explorer se. only conductive but it works well. some one has a nice explorer se on another forum for 549 and am tempted but broke. wish i could buy. but this explorer i have can do the job. i just worry about it dying . maybe it will last awhile. any way any explorer xs experts feel free to give me some pointers. thanks D

i swing an xs and have not seen any need to upgrade.it may be a little slower than the newer ones but i'm 63 and i'm a little slower too.it will do the job....good luck

I have used all the Explorer models up to and including the SE. I currently have an SE for a backup to my CTX3030. The Explorer models all do an outstanding job. These detectors have the same basic platform with changes here and there but all are great. My son uses an Explores XS and will not let it go for anything. When it comes to deep iron all detectors I have used over these 40+ years have some problems with deep iron or iron that has rusted almost back to dust. This problem is one that I can live with as it tells me I am not missing those old deep coins. The soil matrix and angle of the target in the soil matrix, wet or dry soil, salts, how deep the target is, sweep speed of coil over the target, and other matrix factors will cause these kinds of irritants you speak of. There is a point when the response of iron at dept has a particular sound and response when sweeping the coil from different angles over the target that will help to dig less of them. It is by digging some of them that you become aware of the differences that give you the confidence to pass over many of them.

The FeCo numbers are a"best guess" by the detector. When using my SE I hunt in digital with expanded on and switch to iron mask for additional clues. You will notice that most detecors with an LCD screen only show the Co (Conductive) number or dark spot under a name or icon for a target. The ones that have iron discrimination is based on the magnetic properties of iron. This is still a best guess depending on the factors I have already mentioned above.

Good hunting,

Cody

I own a a Explorer xs and as soon as i can afford it im going too get a E-TRAC becouse im getting sick and tired of being out hunted and it is really getting old. So if i were you destructo as soon as you can get a E-TRAC!!!!!

i used a xs for a long time and really liked it, it was a little slower than my buddies exp-2 but it was not that noticable, i have recently upgraded to a SE and sold my xs, not because i didnt like it anymore ,i just have bad luck , like murphys law and minelab doesnt fix the xs anymore.

destructo said:
bought an explorer xs from a forum member and was wondering how much different than other explorers. had a explorer se and had to sell. now trying to get back into detecting again though too dry. tried out for an hour and seems to me about the same as explorer se. only conductive but it works well. some one has a nice explorer se on another forum for 549 and am tempted but broke. wish i could buy. but this explorer i have can do the job. i just worry about it dying . maybe it will last awhile. any way any explorer xs experts feel free to give me some pointers. thanks D
You should have a ferrous mode too unless your saying it doesnt work.. I would say swinging location is more important than upgrade at this point. imo

I used an XS for 10 years and found many very nice things. My hunting buddies still use theirs and continue to find great stuff at remarkable depth.

This is a post a did a while back that explains Ferrous versus Conductive.
Read down until you see the post with pictures I did describing the two. This will help you understand the differences and how they effect the SmartFind screen and the tones.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?10,1879361,1880167#msg-1880167

on xs then ferrous is not in the options menu
Yes, You have that option on all the Explorer Models.

I just finished a post at the top that might help you. :cheers: Ooops its below this now as I should have posted this first. :crylol: