Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer XS & II

John

A question for all you Explorer users. I have an opportunity to buy either a used Explorer XS or Explorer II from my local dealer. The EX II is a bit more costly, both are in very good working order and both are in great condition. My question is the Explorer II much better than the XS? It seems both got about the same depth are there many differences other than that? Thanks in advance for any help. HH

I have both & use both regularly. How much of a price difference his he between the two? The EX II definitely runs faster, both have the same depth. The EX II has a few tweaks in the menu. I seem to like the II better, but not if the price is a lot more. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the advice. The EX II is about $300. more, so I think I will go with the XS, since my MXT gets about to the same depth on most targets and better depth on gold items , but doesn't give good signals like the Explorer on silver I don't think I will spend the extra $$$ on the EX II,I will give the XS a try. Thanks again.

You might enjoy the ferrous and conductive features of the Ex2. The XS only has conductivity. I find ferrous to be a very valuable feature. Look at this feature before you go with the XS although this is a great detector I really like the EX2 compared to my XS for this reason.

Hi Cody, & John,

The XS does have ferrous & conductivity options in the Sounds menu. But does not have both in the digital mode. Just wanted to clarify that. Also, since the XS is no longer being produced only used units are probably available w/o warranty since they have been out of production for quite awhile - that is unless some dealer happens to have one on his shelf that was unsold - doubtful though. Warranty can be worth alot if there are problems so you may want to consider that when making your final decision John. Hope this helps.

Ralph (Sun Ray)

Re: Question for the EX II users......
Posted by: Ace (66.249.195.---)
Date: September 13, 2005 05:28PM
Extracted from: [www.joanallen.co.uk]

Explorer II has been to the design studio. It is now an attractive combination of black and beige in appearance. The new Explorer II graphics on the handle are very bold and the whole machine looks ready for action. It feels great due to the seamless fit of the new black coil and new carbon fibre lower shaft.

The coil cable access panel is gone - instead this area is exposed and the coil cable is fed up through the newly designed round carbon fibre shaft. This is a major change and in a way is rather nostalgic by bringing back a traditional round lower shaft design but instead built with 21st-century materials. Other good news is the coil cable is still hidden and unlikely to catch on foliage.

A new front panel with Explorer II graphics has been introduced with new darker colours, and the tactile push buttons now feel much better with just very gentle touches operating the many functions. All function buttons are the same as on the older XS model with just one slight position change to the 'Power ON/OFF' button, so the Explorer II should be immediately familiar to seasoned XS users.

The screen's visibility has improved by use of an easier to see through material. Finally the new arm-rest material, also colored black, is of a stronger, more flexible material than the older, Explorer XS model. Overall, it is a seriously good-looking detector!
There are a number of operational differences to be found in Explorer II compared to that of the XS. This is due to the faster and more efficient 2nd Generation Explorer Software. These differences include:

IMO I'd go with the Explorer II if I were you, there are some improvements to take in mind, and as Ralph said, the warranty is invaluable. I'd also suggest the X-1 Probe, in my opinion, it's the best accessory you can buy for the Explorer.

Doug,

You can do more with the XS or XS II than the Quattro as far as adjustments to make it more for your type of hunting. On of the reason I don't use a Quattro now is the tones were not adjustable and the high tone of silver was too high pitched for my hearing and couldn't adjust it to a lower tone.
The recover speed on the Explorers are faster than the Quattro and feel that the Quattro will lock on to a good target better as the recovery is slower. The down side to the slow recovery is if it sees a good target the trash around it will sound good too, so this is why i recommend with the Quattro any good signal you raise the coil and let the threshold recover and then check the target again to be sure it is good.