Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer XS Issue...any help would be appreciated.

Ron J

I have an original XS purchased in 1999 or 2000? When swiping side to side, I get false signals just about constantly. I can still hunt with it, due to the false signals are weak, and from experience I can tell if the signal is true or not. But it drives me nuts.
I have already swapped coils, has a brand new one week old, million dollar battery. It is not external connections. The issue is internal. About fifteen years ago, I had the same issue, sent it Minelab for repairs. After waiting a couple of weeks for the repair, I received it back, still having the same issue. I contacted Minelab back then, returned the unit, and Minelab sent me a replacement unit, (this particular one!) . I wasn't happy at the time, because my original unit was one of the first one hundred or so in the States, with a very low serial Nimber.
But I was happy just to have a working unit!
I sent an email to Minelab today, asking where to send it for repairs, and asking if they wanted the coil, shaft etc. They replied, the unit is obsolete, and they do not repair them anymore! They are however sending a 15% off coupon towards a new unit valid at any Minelab Dlr.
Sorry, I know the XS very well, and prefer to repair it. Does anyone have an outside trusted repair station you could hook me up with?
In the meantime, I will be hunting with my trusty Excalibur.
Ron J :usaflag:

You have a loose connection on the connector that the coils fasten to. I've had issues with this a couple of times, lots of falsing when sweeping; once it happened on the coil side, so when I swapped coils the problem went away. The other time it happened to the connector on the detector side.

Try hooking up a coil with the upper shaft removed so you have access to the connection. Try wiggling the wires or add or lessening tension and see if that makes a difference. I ended up having to cut the last half inch of the cable and resoldering. Many years later and still going strong.

Chris

You must send it off for repair I would say send it here (since Minelab will not service it).
There are a few on the forums that have used them and been very satisfied from what I have read.
You might drop them an e-mail first though if you choose that route.
http://www.metaldetectorrepair.com

Hello Ron did you try a different coil i used the minelab slim line coil off a E-trac and it had too too much falseing then i used my stock minelab coil much better no falseing ect but as far as the coil i use all the time is the 12 x 10 DD excellorater coil Max depth and sensativity and i have a 1999 explorer XS so give that a try .sas

Connect coil directly to control panel and touch and move coil connector, if you get falsing signal its ground wire broken from the coil connector in control panel, very simple to repair just soldering it back. Dont believe that your Xs problem is something complicated.