Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer XS Problem...help

WessThompson

Well I was out in with my explorer a few days ago in some pretty heavy rain (yes, I know this isn't recommended)

I have detected in the rain, and wet conditions before with no problems.

This time around, after a while I started getting falsing...very low tones....which gradually got worse. I swapped coils with my buddy who also uses an XS...the problem stayed.

I couldn't detect like that anymore, and shut it down.

I let it sit for a couple of days, and when I tried to turn it on tonight...nothing. Not a damn thing.

I took the control housing apart as well as the entire shaft. Gave it some hairdryer treatment (although nothing appeared damp) and cleaned up the contacts for the battery.

Still nothing.

Finally it came on...although it reverted to factory presets. Then as I was scrolling through the menu to see if my saved setting were still there...it powered off.

I turned it back on, and it stayed on for about 10 seconds, and shut down again.

I haven't been able to get it working again since...and I've tried everything I can think of at this point.

I do have an X-1 probe...but bypassed it obviously, and the problem persists.

Has anyone had this problem???

I'd really appreciate knowing if any explorer schematics exist on the web anywhere!?!? I am an electronics tech, so I'm not too worried about getting in there and doing some testing...

What bad timing :(

It could be that your battery is bad and trying a different one would tell you this if it comes on like it should and stays on. You also could have a bad battery connection. Take the Battery out and put it back in and make sure it feels snug. You could also have a stuck power button also. It may have gotten damp from moisture from the rain or just humidity. If possible, try and clean it off with some electronics cleaner spray but make sure it isn't the type that leaves a residue after you spray it on. Hope you are able to figure it out. One other thing, the reason for the detector falsing so much in the rain is due to the water and dirt moving around the inside of the coil cover. This has been happening to me lately also and what I do is just lift the coil up and tilt it and let the water drain out. It should work better after you do this but you may have to silicon the cover to the coil to defeat this problem. I haven't done this yet but I am thinking about it. Good Luck and HH.

I did in fact try 3 different battery packs. I also checked them with my fluke meter. Now I know batteries don't test ideally when not under any load...but they are fine.

I did clean the battery contacts as well.

I did NOT try to clean the power button...but will give it a shot. I have access to everything I need at work, and we have all kind of contact cleaner...so I'll give it a go tomorrow.

I know what you mean about the falsing with dirt and water in the coil cover. I did experience that initially before the major problems came...and I knew what the problem was. I was using the same method as you (tiliting the coil up to drain the water) and finally opted to remove the coil cover since I was in soft dirt anyhow. When I removed the cover, it was packed with dirt and water.

The problem went away for a while after that.

However, then things got really bad about 45 minutes later.

It's strange...my buddy wasn't even using a rain cover and had zero problems out there.

This sucks

Have you taken and cleaned the Coil Connector on the Coil itself and also on the Probe? It could have gotten moisture in there as well and you should try using either contact cleaner or maybe a can of compressed air to blow out any dust that may be causing any kind of falsing. You should also do the connector from the probe to the control box as well since you are cleaning the others anyways. Hope to hear that your detector is running normal and hope to hear a reply back on the forum from you about this problem of yours if you solved it or not. Good Luck and HH.

Wes, I've had that problem with the low falsing and I think it was either a problem with the coil or my X-1 (switch crapped out). Is your X-1 an older unit with the rubber boot totally covering the switch? You said you bypassed your X-1 right? Have you tried swapping out the stock coil for another? Pls. let us know what happens!

I did try byassing the X-1 probe with no success. It's the model with the rubber boot at the base only.

I have not tried another coil here...but was getting the falsing the night the problem started even with my buddies stock coil.

However, I have not tried a new coil since I have had the problem of not having the unit power on.