Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Explorer XS rods stuck

I recently purchased a used Explorer XS, but found that the lower rod is unmovable, thus making the use of a non-stock coil impossible. I have tried WD40 on the joint to no avail. Can anyone suggest a way to free up the connection withour damaging either the upper or lower rods. This machine has been used primarily at the New Jersey seashore. Machine works well, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the suggestion MikeO, but not sure that would work since the coil cable is still inside both pieces. Beginning to think my best bet would be to find both an upper and lower rod for the machine. If anyone else has some ideas, please feel free to chime in.

n/t

Oh, well heck. That's how long its been I reckon. Both my machines have X1s.
So, the upper rod will come out of the control housing BUT, the cable cannot be pulled through the two rods (upper and lower) while still together?
Surely, it will come loose that is unless the prior owner epoxied them together gosh forbid.

This thread got me thinking and I just hiked down to the basement to ponder my XS. There isn't a way to pull the cord out if the two rods are assembled; on the lower the cord is pressed into a channel that passes the cord to the inside of the upper. No was would you be able to pull the coiled part and then the plug througt there, unless wire snips were involved.

But, I think you could get a dowel rod that would fit through the cable coils that would get you down to the lower rod. The channel where the coil cable fits in projects into the middle of the upper and you should be able to get the dowel on that and give it a whack. Alternatively, try opening a vise wide enough to let the lower pass through but not the upper and try yank on the lower.

I have two uppers, one slides nicely on all my lowers and the other one is way tight. Not even sure where that one is these days. If some one epoxied it then you are probably screwed.

Let us know what happens.

Chris

Tried Hot water (almost boiling) in upper rod - water passed through but the rods didn't loosen up at all. Next trick will be to warm the upper rod with a hair dryer and see if that helps. My level of frustration is increasing with every attempt - LOL