Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Extreme mineralisation, need some advice

Hugo F

Hi folks!
This weekend i traveled to a location here in Norway known for its extreme strenght of mineralisation. Our tecting club have been there twice, its a hard nail, makes our high end machines feel like chinese ones. The mineralisation strenght bar on my Deus read full whole the time and the Garret pinpointer falses and are quite useless there. The new Minelab one worked well though.
I`ve only had Deus for some weeks, spent last 4 yrs with GMP, this last trip to the farm was to try crack the code for this location.
Its an old settlement, now big farm surrounded by mounds, should be descent levels of finds there, but no...
Picked up maybe 1 good alloy an hour, 6,5 hrs gave me just one medieval artefact, a bronze needle.
The soil is sandy cause its close to very windy and sandy shore, only few hundred meters away, and its all black. Iron infested by huge amount of nails and bolts and got high level of salt i guess, cause when wet its even worse. (started to rain at the end of the day)
The GB point reads 86-87 there.
Both farmer, neighbours, locals and the arkies long to see finds there, but its hard, will wait for the farmer to plough the field and try again when its not that moist, guess we will get 1-2 inches more depht and better separation then.
Have any of you experienced Deus - user any tip/advice for settings?

By digging down some test objects at 4 and 6 inches i tried to tweak a 2- tone program for best performance at this site, ended up like this:

Disc 4,6 202/644Hz
Sens 82
TX 1
Freq 12
Iron vol 0
Reactivity 2
Silencer 0
Audio R 4
Audio overload 2
Notch 00-00
GB Tracking or manual 84

Where did i go wrong? My stomach tells me theres higher potensial in the machine, even at this site!

Thanks!
Hugo

Other detail... Iron came in at the right of the horseshoe, deep or shallow, should i put disc higher, would it help to put it at lets say 8 ? (this location is longway from home, dont know when i`ll get the chance to revisit it and try other settings, but i surely will)

Thanks

Circular Iron and Iron with holes drilled it it will ill often com up in the right hand side of the horseshoe.

It can be annoying at times, try using the + swinging East to West and then turn 90` and swing again sometimes with experience its posible to hear a difference in the sound that will show the item up as possible ferrous.

It not just the Deus that can be fooled.:shrug: Jerry.

Im used to being/not being fooled by iron, im not that unexperiened detctorist, but my Deus is pretty new, and mineralisation at this site.. Have nothing to compare with! Even bigger nails and bolts showed up at the right of horseshoe.
But thanks Jerry! :)

First of all I suggest to set a silencer to 2 - this will cut out some noise.
You can also replace discrimination with notch: set discr to 1 and notch out 0-8.
I'm not a fan of ground tracking - seems to be too slow. Prefer to run manual, at so high mineralisation suggest to stay 2-3 points above ground reading. Don't look at horseshue to identify good targets. Audio and id number will tell you much more :)

Sounds reasonable to put silencer at 2, positive GB index point number as well. Im always afraid of notching out targets, but worth a try at this site maybe...
Disc at 1... Why not even zero out any disc, when using notch?

Was amazed first trip out with the Deus back home, with moderate mineralisation, but iron carpet of another world..! Horseshoe was 100 percent accurate, every mixed signal, Cu and iron, to the right and iron only to the left, 30 picks at 60-80 square meters, - pure fun! *chirp* :crazy: