Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EZdigger made better

Fired up the forge today and got rid of my old EZ digger because it was like trying to push a pop can into the ground .So i got a 3/8" sqrewdriver made from crome vanadium steel american steel its way stronger than the chines steel puonded it out and smothed it put some notches in the sides for cutting roots It just sales into the ground . As you can see from the other one it is not very streem lined this becomes a problem when getting into harder dirt so i put all the hardware on my new G-Z digger O.K enuff of this

Nice job Gunnar!

If you don't have a forge or an anvil ... for pieces of metal not too big, like that screw driver, I have used a propane torch to heat it cherry red. Used a 20 lb. sledge hammer as the anvil and a regular hammer to beat the metal. Make sure the sledge is well braced. Heat, hammer, heat, hammer, repeat until it is like you want. Like metal detecting, patience and persistence while observing what is happening and adjusting technique get better results than just trying to beat it quickly.

Tempering can be done once you get the shape you like by heating it cherry red and dunking into a can (metal not plastic) of oil. You can use water for tempering, but the first plunge into water boils the water off the surface and doesn't give as much fast heat transfer as oil will.

Make sure the area is well ventilated and you are away from brush, the house / car etc. In any case, if you try it, be careful and think out what can happen that is bad and make sure the bad doesn't happen!!

It's been a couple of years since I've hammered metal. I may have to make one!
tvr