Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F-70 vs F-5

BJ in Okla.

I am interested in the F-70 and the F-5, both with the 5" dd coil...

The places that I coin hunt are real trashy,,rusty bottle caps, alum screw caps, rusty nails, sq tabs,beaver tail tabs, and park trash,,these are old parks....
How do both units handle EMI ??
I like the F-5 knobs,, and the GB could be set with the turn of a knob....
But there are things that I like about the F-70,,,,had one when they first came out,, only used it with the 4x6 coil....Should have kept it longer.
I had the Omega 8000 and liked it,, but the places I hunt, have EMI,, one place was so bad, had to drop down to 40 on the sens and it was still noisy and this was with the 5"dd coil...
Changing freqs did nothing....
The last place that I hunted, I used my AT pro and 4.5" con. coil,,,the place was so trashy,,,I could not find a clean place to gb,,so I set it at 80 and hunted....
Most places GB from 73 to 83.....Have not had a EMI problem with it...
Thanks.....Bj

I have no experience with the F5. The 70 handles those areas superbly, no EMI troubles at all, trashy parks? No problem, a wonderful fast unit that pinpoints dead on, great target id, Delta Tones..I think the biggest decider for me was the batteries, the F70 takes 4 AA's and the F5 uses 9v's right? I rolled through a place this am with the 70 and just highgraded the Q's...got 5.20 and 36 coins in not even an hour...the thing is fast and deadly. I've hunted right up next to a big transformer just a humming away, its at a football field right next to the concession stand, and let me tell you, there was clad galore in a 20' radius of that thing. maybe Mike Hillis will be along to give you some better feedback, he's the Man on this topic.
Mud

The f70 doesnt get alot of the fan fair it deserves. Its truely a great detector. I have never used f5 but it has a almost cult following and those who use swear by it. U cant go wrong investing in either one.:csflag:

Re: F-70 vs F-5
Posted by: mudpuppy [ Send a Message ]
Date: 2 hours ago Registered: 1 year ago

I have no experience with the F5. The 70 handles those areas superbly, no EMI troubles at all, trashy parks? No problem, a wonderful fast unit that pinpoints dead on, great target id, Delta Tones..I think the biggest decider for me was the batteries, the F70 takes 4 AA's and the F5 uses 9v's right? I rolled through a place this am with the 70 and just highgraded the Q's...got 5.20 and 36 coins in not even an hour...the thing is fast and deadly. I've hunted right up next to a big transformer just a humming away, its at a football field right next to the concession stand, and let me tell you, there was clad galore in a 20' radius of that thing. maybe Mike Hillis will be along to give you some better feedback, he's the Man on this topic.
Mud

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi Mud,
There are things i like about both units....
I like the AA's better than the 9 v.....
I like more freq adjustments of the F-70...
I remember it was fast.....
I like the knobs of the F-5 and it shows phase while your hunting...

What do you do if you plan to hunt a site that is real trashy and you can not find a clean spot to GB ???

The auto GB of the Edge was something that I did not like at times like a super trashy site,, I would end up walking a block away to GB and then come back to hunt...

I don't know about the Delta tones,,never used them before,,,but do have a E-Trac......Do like the 3 and 4 tone's of my AT and 3d..........

I got close to a transformer one time with a Tesoro, it went nuts,,,but my XLT did fine,,, may be it depends on the transformer....

Do you ever use the 5" or 4x6 coil ???

Thanks...........Bj

I just got back in...been out since 3am hitting a beach...I RARELY ground balance...I dont know why, just lazy I guess, it doesnt seem to be a problem for me, of course I'm running low sens 55 ish, and a neg 3 thresh...and mainly stabbing clad and jewelry, field jumping, slamming totlots, beaches...I pretty much only run the 11"dd, I have a 10, but have only used it once or twice...I carry it as a spare in case something ever happens to the 11. I would like to try a 5 one of these days curb stripping for deep silver. Delta Tones are SWEET! It says in the manual to try to master them so I did. Good Luck with your decision, I doubt you could go wrong with either, its just that the AA's are so dang cheap and last forever. I take them out of my AtPro and put them in the F70 and get at least another 10 hours out of them..
Mud

Re: F-70 vs F-5 New
Posted by: mudpuppy [ Send a Message ]
Date: 2 hours ago Registered: 1 year ago

I just got back in...been out since 3am hitting a beach...I RARELY ground balance...I don't know why, just lazy I guess, it doesn't seem to be a problem for me, of course I'm running low sens 55 ish, and a neg 3 thresh...and mainly stabbing clad and jewelry, field jumping, slamming tot lots, beaches...I pretty much only run the 11"dd, I have a 10, but have only used it once or twice...I carry it as a spare in case something ever happens to the 11. I would like to try a 5 one of these days curb stripping for deep silver. Delta Tones are SWEET! It says in the manual to try to master them so I did. Good Luck with your decision, I doubt you could go wrong with either, its just that the AA's are so dang cheap and last forever. I take them out of my AtPro and put them in the F70 and get at least another 10 hours out of them..
Mud

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mud,
In the manual,, it says,, every time you turn the F-70 on,,, the GB is set at 90,,,,and the last F-75 that I had,, the GB in my back yard was 60....
It also says,,that 90 may not bother the unit in the disc mode,, but in PP,, it may be Positive.....

I am on my 4th set of AA's in my AT pro, I change when its down to one bar,,I need to start checking them when I get them home...

Someone told me that I could set the GB in all metal manual,,,but think they are thinking of the F-75.....

At this time,, I am leaning more to the F-75 over the F-5,,,because of the AA's,,more freq adjustments, better balance and the fact that I can get a meter and battery covers...
Lol,, I have a Fisher cover on my AT pro,,and it says Fisher... Some have asked what it was ?? Fisher or Garrett,, I just tell them its a new pro to unit,lol....:rofl:
Not getting rid of the AT,, but believe in using different units at the same site....
Thanks for your help..
Bj

I am new with the F70 but I sure like it when I use it.

I had many other brands to include the top of the line models.

Just really like the how the F70 works for me. Thanks to the
guys on this board for making the recommendation.

I miss my f 70 when i go coin huntin. I really liked playin around with that slow mode also.:csflag:

the f70 is lighter than the f75 and and the f70 has less adjustments very easy to learn the ground balance is not to big of a deal in disc mode but in all metal must be set or it will not run queit, also the f70 and f75 run at a higher freq so they hit better on small gold jewerly and nickels if your going to spend the extra money for a f75 you might as well spend a little more and get the f75 ltd or the t2se and you will have the best fisher has to offfer i think all the machines you talked about will serve you well good luck hh

I really enjoy my F5, not a depth monster(8" seems about max) but it is a fun coinshooter/jewelry machine with a user friendly interface. I will tell you though that it has its problems with EMI. So if EMI is an issue, you might want to pass on it and get the F70. A lot of people speak highly of the F70, it just doesn't get as much recognition as the F75.

sqwaby said:
I really enjoy my F5, not a depth monster(8" seems about max) but it is a fun coinshooter/jewelry machine with a user friendly interface. I will tell you though that it has its problems with EMI. So if EMI is an issue, you might want to pass on it and get the F70. A lot of people speak highly of the F70, it just doesn't get as much recognition as the F75.

Now day's,,EMI is getting to be a problem,,,for a lot of units,,,but when I run into those places,, I use another unit, that has noise cancel....
There are things that I like about both the F-5 & F-70........
What I am looking for is,,,a fast unit with a small coil, like the 5" dd and the 4x6 con. coil,, and the F-70 can use both....
The F-5 only has the 5dd coil, right ???
Not worried about a lot of depth,,,I have a couple of deep units,,,but I have a friend that uses a old A.H. pro back packer with 6.4" coil,, this unit if from the late 70's,,and 4 or 5 inches max and he has used this unit for years and you should see all his good finds.....

Thanks for your reply...
At this time,, I am leaning towards the F-70,, but that could change.
Bj

Bj
I had a F5 when they first came out and had a few problems with it and sent it back to Fisher and it came back all fixed but didn't much care to use it anymore. I picked up the F70. In the time that I have had the F70 I have tried a few other detectors but have always came back to swinging the F70 and appreciated it even more after a time of swinging those other detectors. I have detected about 90 sites with the F70 and it has worked on all sites. I even detected next to a deep tunnel project that was in the road. There was big trucks, tractors, cranes, pumps and all kinds of EMI producing things. It was noisy but I did detect that site and found a bunch of coins there.
It isn't the deepest detector but it is one of the great coin machines. I have found gold and silver with it. It works in dry sand and wet sand. (fresh water) It is a tuff detector, easy to use, fast, light and I think the most well balanced detector made. The batteries run a very long time. I have dropped it a number of times and it just keeps going. I have had it on more than 300 hunts and found thousands of coins. I use the 6.5" coil almost 100% of the time. I have the standard coil and the 11" coil also. It is in the trunk almost all summer. I take it out when not hunting during the hot weather of 90 degrees or more. But it goes right back into the trunk because it comes out for all those hunts that I have an hour or so for hunt when my wife is out shopping.
Being retired I probably have more time in one summer on the F70 than most guys spend in years of detecting. It goes out in all kinds of weather and conditions. I usually replace the batteries and the cushions on the headphones and than I am off for another year of hunting.
Thanks for reading and Happy Trails....Z

I hope to get another f70 i also want a try with the new g2. I hear its an iron demon. Miss my at pro also. But next purchase will be f70 or 75 ltd to add to my t2's. Either way it will be a first texas offering. I simply love all tthose modeis.:teknetics::fisher::csflag: