Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F19 audio question

horikindaguy

G2 owner interested in the F19 (and soon to be new G2)...
looking at the F19 manual it seems that the volume adjustment up to 10 (default is 7) is effectively a 'master' volume control such that
I wouldn't need headphones with a built-in volume control?

but, it appears that when using the iron volume adjustment, it starts with '10' (highest volume) and seems to imply that you'll need to have a separate volume control on your headphones?

if true this is disappointing....

That's true and I have found that with many of my inexpensive sets of headphones, a setting of ten isn't loud enough and I have very good hearing. It's fine with my SunRay Pro Golds but not with my Sonys or Koss sets. My G2 and Gold Bug Pro had perfect volume (for me) with any of my sets that don't have volume controls but not so with the F19. I wish My F19 would go to about 12 or 15 on non ferrous targets.

Tom Slick said:
That's true and I have found that with many of my inexpensive sets of headphones, a setting of ten isn't loud enough and I have very good hearing. It's fine with my SunRay Pro Golds but not with my Sonys or Koss sets. My G2 and Gold Bug Pro had perfect volume (for me) with any of my sets that don't have volume controls but not so with the F19. I wish My F19 would go to about 12 or 15 on non ferrous targets.

good info....my G2 is so loud an in-line control is mandatory for the audiophile headphones that I like to use....currently trying my Bose 25's with noise cancel and they are really nice, any and all nuances can be heard. Bose's noise cancelling tech is fantastic and these are great for airline flights also....

volume too low on the F19/'new G2' would be a show stopper for me! I'd have to try before I bought just to make sure it had enough volume, which would be difficult here in Canada. everything here seems to be drop shipped from one distributor (no demos as dealers are internet only).....maybe this will be improved upon with the 'new' version of G2 that's due out (FT engineers listening out there?).

My F19 volume control goes to 20. I use the Koss UR 30 headphones sounds great.

But remember I want to hear the iron because all the targets I want to find are in and around nails and other iron trash.

thanks George, but I'm still confused. the Koss UR-30's have no volume control as I recall? and you're running the F19 volume maxed at 20 and the volume is OK, not too high?

that would imply the volume from the F19 is very low (no extra headroom so to speak) same as Tom Slick states...

The Volume setting goes to 20 but the non ferrous stops at a setting of 10. Any adjustment between 11 and 20 only affects the ferrous (iron) loudness so non iron targets never get any louder than 10. In any noisy environment like wind, traffic, or waves crashing on shore and the volume isn't loud enough on any of my headphones (I've tried 6 different sets) except the SunRay Pro Golds.

So if it wasn't for your Pro Gold's you'd sell your F-19? I use Killer Bee's with mine and haven't had any volume problems. Maybe it's just an operator error problem.

I haven't tried Killer Bee's on my F19 so I don't know how I'd like them. I used to have a friend that has an F19 and uses Killer Bee's but I don't anymore! :poke:

I've got my own F75 LTD. I don't need your stinkin' number 2 (get it?). See ya in a few. Those targets don't stand a chance. :clapping:

I have no problem hearing targets with the Koss. The pro gold sound weaker at full volume to me. But we all hear differently. I will stick with what I have. Been out on a windy day no problem. If I'm beach hunting I will use my old favorite meant for salt water. I would hate to dunk my F19.:cry:

Volume on the F19 goes from 1-10. For me 10 is plenty loud. There are 20 volume settings. The first 9 adjust volume for ferrous and non ferrous equally. A setting of 7 means you hear both ferrous and non at volume 7. At a setting of 10 - non ferrous is 10 and ferrous is 0. Nonferrous volume is 10 in volume settings 11 -20. Ferrous volume increases from 1 to 10 with volume settings 11- 20. so a volume setting of 15 has nonferrous at 10 and ferrous at 5. A volume setting of 20 has ferrous and nonferrous at 10.

setting Non fer
1 1 1
2 2 2
3 3 3
4 4 4
5 5 5
6 6 6
7 7 7
8 8 8
9 9 9
10 10 0
11 10 1
12 10 2
13 10 3
14 10 4
15 10 5
16 10 6
17 10 7
18 10 8
19 10 9
20 10 10

Garry

Okay the settings looked better before i posted it. ignore the last part and look in the owners manual.

Garry

garrybk said:
Okay the settings looked better before i posted it. ignore the last part and look in the owners manual.

Garry

thanks Garry, at settings '9' or '20' (one step apart) do you need to use a separate (analog) volume control on your headphones to reduce the volume?

Not Garry, but on my high quality headphones, I need to turn the headphone volume controls down if the detector is set at 9 or 20. On my lightweight sets that have no volume control of their own, I need to set the detector at 10 or 20 and wish there was even more volume available on the detector.

Because I wear hearing aids I like volume control on each ear. I think the volume on the F19 is good for me. I have a pair of grey ghosts arriving tomorrow because I want the best clarity I can get. Without a good set of headphones loud volume won't mean much. You should take your best set of headphones and see if you can find a f19 to listen to.

Garry

My Detector Pro Bushmaster headphones are louder then the Koss and have an adjustable volume control.