Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F2 as a beginner machine?

I have a good friend who has been detecting for about a year now. Would a F2 be a good machine to settle in and learn with? Their only other option is my F75 which just seems like too much for someone just getting into it. Up to this point he has used a Tejon, vaquero, and my f75....is a F2 the right machine to go with ? What about a eurotek pro? Thanks for your help.

LittleJohn

I think the F2 is an excellent starter detector. It's affordable super easy to learn, and there have been a ton of posts on it.

He's been detecting for a year now, if his interest is still holding up I would suggest a move to something like the F5 if he can squeeze the money to get it.
The F2 would be a good starting detector for testing the waters to see if the person is going to really like the hobby and plan on staying with it.
But, he's had a year at it already. That's why I'm thinking the upgrade to the F5.

Mark

Used or new?
Used you can find them for around $325.00 to $350.00

New I would check some of the sponsors of this forum for a new price.

Mark

Every machine I have ever had gives you some settings that you use right out of the box that will do as good or better than the F2. Once you start getting the hang of the machine you can go to hotter settings. So buy something you have a little room to grow.

Ron in WV

He is a slower learning kinda guy...I'm tryin to help make it less confusing and more fun. That's why I'm lookin at entry level

I went with a Eurotek Pro it is a fine little machine and I think it will do the trick. It came highly recommended in this price range and with a 5 year warranty it is tough To beat I think.

LittleJohn

I am not a beginner, I own and use several detectors, I bought the F2 as a backup and vacation machine only but it was so much fun to use and found me so much so quickly that I just kept on using it more than others.
As I continued to learn and use it over the next couple of years I began to understand that it is a beginner's unit in price but not necessarily in how it works and how much it can find can find once you really learn the language.
I went on to find more clad, old coins and silver and gold jewelry using it than any others.
Can you outgrow it, sure, that can be said for most low to mid end machines, but it took me awhile to get as good as I have with it and in that time it paid for itself 10 times over.
All kinds of decent units at the $200 range, but nothing out there is as fast, has such good target separation and those very helpful VDI numbers, AND come in a package with 2 coils at that price.
Don't discount the cheap sniper coils in those multiple coil packages...that thing has found me more that the bigger coils have by far and makes it much easier to learn the F2 when you start out.

:usmc: Last summer, I picked up new, a 3 coil F-2 package. This package included the DD Coil. Like REVIER, I'm no beginner by any means and had no one to teach me. The F-2 is simply a lower cost machine while still quite capable of detecting. Bells and Whistles can be fooled no mater the money shelled out for them. In the right hands, even the inexpensive machines can be very productive. I cut my teeth on the old manual set and detect by discerning sounds with an ear but have been able to integrate sounds to the ear into the new display and tone detecting. I have no idea what your area is like to detect but unless your friend has a wallet waiting to burn a hole in his pocket, it may be best to encourage him to look at the lower end Fisher F-2 or F-4. Nothing worse than jumping into something like a high end machine and then end up getting so frustrated, it ends up in a closet. If he goes the route of the lower cost units, at least he can advance and keep it as a backup machine or it won't hurt as bad parting with it out of losing interest. Even though I have other machines, I still use my F-2 at times as a primary machine. To be honest, with all that the F-2 offers and with some coil options available, what more is needed outside of metal detecting theory and a trained ear, to get down to serious detecting?

The eurotek pro by Teknetics is in the same price category as the F2 by fisher . They quite possible share much of the same technology. I'm sure that the eurotek pro will do the tick and satisfy the detecting urge. It was actually recommended as a better alternative by the dealer I purchased it from. Hope it all works out! Thanks for y'all's help

LittleJohn