Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F2 for a 8 year old boy?

Rainyday101

My 8 year old is a wrestler and after every long wrestling season we buy him a gift. His season starts in October and it just ended yesterday at the state regionals. He finished 4th place and if it were not for one mistake he would have finished 2nd and went to state. Oh well, he wrested his butt off and lost, it happens. He ended with a record for the season of 50 wins, 13 losses, 34 pins, and had only been pinned 2 times. We are proud of him- and this years he wants a metal detector to go detecting with dad.

Is the F2 simple enough for an intelligent 8 year old? It seems hard to find any bad reviews on it, and I mean none. I was originally gonna go with a Compadre, but feel the VDI may keep him a bit more interested so he doesn't get bored quickly.

How is that Fisher pin pointer? Skip it and go with a Garrett?

An F2 and a Garrett Pro pointer are about the best start for anyone at any age. Great equipment at a reasonable price, and you get to enjoy a hobby together.

The F2 is a nice machine that can be as easy as turn on and go. Notching is about the most complicated feature on it I believe, and of course not necessary.

The Fisher Fpointer... It'll sound off at around 1/2" max on coins unless you modify it, and then you don't get much more distance (probably less than 1"). Some say it's pretty rugged for poking around the dirt with. I didn't get to use mine much because it was faulty and wouldn't quit sounding off.

the f2 good starter machine very simple, i hear that the Eutotek pro gets a little deeper about the same price hh

I looked at the Eurotek Pro but thought that might be getting a little complicated for him with how the settings effect iron tone etc. Thinking the F2 is just easier for a kid to operate, but still a good detector that will reward him with some good finds.

I am not familiar with the Eurotek, but what you said about the F2 rewarding your son with some good finds is exactly correct, and it's not hard to do. :)

friend of mine had one for a year he loved it, his only complaint was the 9 volt batterys buy a set of rechargable 9 volts would be the way to go gl and congrats to your son hh

The F2 multiple coil package is still one of the best values on the market.
The sniper coil in those packages is not a throwaway or a toy, it turns the F2 into a precise surgical instrument and makes it much easier to learn the F2 when you are a brand spanking newbie in this hobby.
Several of us mounted that sniper coil and it rarely comes off...ever!

The 10" concentric coil can get a bit deeper than the standard 8" and whether you get it in the 3 coil package or buy it later after market the cost is about the same and that coil is also dirt cheap compared to so many others in the larger coil catagory.

The F2 is pretty simple to use, can be a bit chatty at high power levels but turn down the sense and it usually becomes quiet and you don't lose much depth at all.

I bought mine purely as a backup/take on vacation detector only but discovered it was so much fun to use and found me so much from the minute I started swinging it that it became pretty much my prime unit for the last few years and I own several detectors including a higher end Vaquero.

My $200 investment turned into about $2000 in finds, clad, silver, gold and even a few relics in the last 3 seasons.

The free F Point pinpointer is useable, way better than nothing, but of course the Propointer is a whole different story and recommended highly.

I bought a new F2 package with the 2 coils and the Fisher pinpointer for my wife who is about 8 times older. This is here 1st detector and she is having a great time. My 15 yr. old Tiny Tech is 3 times better than the F-point. I won't get into how it compares to the Sunray in-lines on my F75 or MXT or my Pistol Probe, it is however better than no pinpointer.

Thanks everyone, I am gonna go with the F2 to keep it simple and get a Garrett ProPointer to go with. For now, to keep the cost down I will get the single 8" coil. I see the pricing on the sniper coil to add on later is very reasonable. I have read just too many good things about the F2 and the Compadre, but the F2 will keep his attention longer with the nice VDI. The first time it tells him he has a quarter on the ID and he digs it, it will be like he won the lottery! I can't wait to take it for a test spin myself.

I am also gonna break down and buy a F70 for myself. I have been torn between the Tejon/Vaquero vs. the F70 most of the winter. I just think the F70 is an under-rated over acheiver and I can't wait to try it out. Seems like it has plenty of adjustment and can get deep, and that is what I am looking for. For the money the F70 seems to be a lot of bang for the buck.

Rainyday101 said:
Thanks everyone, I am gonna go with the F2 to keep it simple and get a Garrett ProPointer to go with. For now, to keep the cost down I will get the single 8" coil. I see the pricing on the sniper coil to add on later is very reasonable. I have read just too many good things about the F2 and the Compadre, but the F2 will keep his attention longer with the nice VDI. The first time it tells him he has a quarter on the ID and he digs it, it will be like he won the lottery! I can't wait to take it for a test spin myself.

I am also gonna break down and buy a F70 for myself. I have been torn between the Tejon/Vaquero vs. the F70 most of the winter. I just think the F70 is an under-rated over acheiver and I can't wait to try it out. Seems like it has plenty of adjustment and can get deep, and that is what I am looking for. For the money the F70 seems to be a lot of bang for the buck.

Get the sniper coil now while it is only $15 in the 2 coil package.
I guess I didn't stress enough how much easier and more fun it would be for him to learn on using this coil.
Trust me, I know.

Also, good choice on the F70.
About 50 hours in with mine and I absolutely love it.

Congrats on the wrestling, many schools are doing away with the wrestling program these days. Listen to REVIER he would know, the F2 ROCKS!! You might not want to try it in the same spots you use your UMax. You may end up taking it back from him! Seriously it is an awesome detector, if you get the 4" coil package, he will definitely find goodies others have missed! HH

Thanks AtomicScott. I actually can't wait to try his F2. I plan on getting an F70 and will definetely be recovering my tracks where I was with the Silver uMax.

Just bought my 8 yr old boy a f2. With my Guidence he does pretty good with it. I bought it used for $150 of this forums classifieds from Backwoodsdetectors com. He was great. It works like new.

Can't quite leave my boy totally unatended because he would dig just about everything that beeped more than once but he is getting better each time we go out.

Good luck.