Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F2 out of warranty repair question

oppie

I have a F2 in great condition except... The electronics are all out of wack. The power of button doesn't work. Doesn't turn the unit on nor off. The F2 turns on once the left battery is installed. Apparently one is great. I changed batteries, tried non rechargable. Nothing helped. The f2 beeps and gives readings when no metal is present.

Is there a master reset or some such to reboot the unit?

It's out of warranty. My question: for under $200 I can purchase a brand new unit. Is it worth shipping back and forth and the minimum repair cost?

Would I be better off selling the coil and rods and put towards a new detector. I like the f2 and could be great first detector for my daughter.

Decisions decisions.

Try a reset...the factory swears there is none on the F2 but so many have done this and after it seemed to have straightened out many problems.
Power up the unit but do not take your finger off the power button as it starts up.
Leave it pressed down for about 10 seconds.
Nothing will sound off or show on the screen that anything has happened but like I said it still seems to help.

oppie said:
I have a F2 in great condition except... The electronics are all out of wack. The power of button doesn't work. Doesn't turn the unit on nor off. The F2 turns on once the left battery is installed. Apparently one is great. I changed batteries, tried non rechargable. Nothing helped. The f2 beeps and gives readings when no metal is present.

Is there a master reset or some such to reboot the unit?

It's out of warranty. My question: for under $200 I can purchase a brand new unit. Is it worth shipping back and forth and the minimum repair cost?

Would I be better off selling the coil and rods and put towards a new detector. I like the f2 and could be great first detector for my daughter.

Decisions decisions.

You must use two batteries...one runs the audio an maybe a few other functions the second battery powers the rest...using one battery it might come on but it will be totally wonked out performance wise.
You better put the batteries in the correct way too or again it just won't work right at all.
Looking at the screen and inserting the batteries from the back the + sign MUST be on the right side on both.
Getting signals, tones and numbers without passing the coil over metal is normal in areas with EMI which can be in the house or outdoors.
That reset thing usually helps but if your power button doesn't work you can't do it.
Check your coil connection to the head unit and make sure it is not loose.
The only way to see if it is working right is to try those 2 fresh batteries, insert them correctly and pass the coil over coins and see how it reacts.
Even with EMI present this thing should stop falsing and give you a decent repeatable good signal.

My power button stopped working a few months after I bought mine also.
I called Fisher and got an RGA number to return it and was all set to send it in but I was having too much fun with it, finding so much that I just didn't want to be without it for even a few weeks so I held off and never did send it in.
For the next three years I used it I just pulled the batteries when I wanted to turn it off and put them back in when I went hunting.

You can call Fisher but out of warranty it will cost you shipping, labor and parts to fix it which could be worth it if it ends up not to be much but don't hold your breath because I assume this will end up to be more than it would be logically worth to do.
A phone call is free and see what they say...do those other things I suggested first because if it is just a broken power button that is no big deal to deal with.
It wasn't for me, anyway.

After investigating further, the power button is bad... Always on and can't turn off without pulling the batteries. The main culprit is a bad coil. It just causes the unit (and my other) to go crazy. The coil was hardly used so can't imagine what happened.

A new coil and I should be good to go. I don't see myself sending it in for the power button.

I don't think that they can just replace one button, they replace the whole membrane touch pad.

Mark