Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F44 Weather Proof

jeeptj

Thinking about getting one of these but notice a few post say to remove headphones and cover the headphone jack when it's raining.

This is the main reason I'm looking into getting this detector and never tried a Fisher before either. ( Nice to hunt in light rain if possible).

Is it possible to slip a o-ring on the earphone jack to seal the connection better?

Any thought's?

Thanks.

There is a plug that fits into the hole that seals it completely if you are going to use it in drenching rain or if you out in the water hunting.
With this plug in place it was even tested at shallow depths under water for long periods of time and it never leaked but Fisher still will never go so far as to say these are waterproof...just weather resistant.
I have hunted in the rain several times with 2 Fishers with only a zip lock bag covering the head unit on my F2, and also on the screen and one the end of the battery pack on my F70 and never worried about it or had a problem.
Hunting in a light rain with headphones I would not think this would ever be an issue, hunting in downpours with gale force winds or in the water where it could accidentally be dunked would be another matter and I would use that plug in those situations.

I had the F44 and I wouldn't hunt without the plug in place in the rain. Most of the time the rain will drive anybody else to run for cover so the sound coming out of the speaker will never bother anybody anyway. The volume is easily set at whatever level you may need. I used to set it at 2 or 3 out of 10 with 10 being maximum.

Thanks good to know it can be adjusted that low didn't beeping across the park.

You say had one. Was there something you didn't like about it?

This would be my first fisher

Every detector in the Fisher F series seem to have their own character especially when it comes to the noise they make on target acquisition, pinpointing, ground balance, etc. Understanding their audio lingo is important and I never quite got along with the F44 for that reason. I prefer a mainly quiet hunt. Some prefer their detector to be the opposite and "talk" to them even if it means semi constant chatter. The F44 is of the latter variety. A change of program (from jewelry to custom for example) or lowering the sensitivity will quiet it down to some extent.

I found a lot of goodies with it and there are some characteristics that make it very desirable at that price level (manual ground balance, back light, adjustable audio, weather proof, energy efficient, etc.) but I preferred the general demeanor of my F5 even though it lacks some of the functions of the F44 that I miss.