Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

f5 notch out or turn up disc and why?

crusher28

I use my f5 mostly in disc. mode. Should I notch out the things I don't want or turn up the disc. instead? tell me which is better and why.

Where you write your post box above it in blue letters says UPLOAD FILE click on them and it will open the Attachments, follow that and its real easy. and question give me a PM or post it.

sorry, posted the wrong place.

crusher28 said:
I use my f5 mostly in disc. mode. Should I notch out the things I don't want or turn up the disc. instead? tell me which is better and why.

Most of the time I do both at the same time. Combining notch and disc by turning the pot I get the best of both worlds. For example if I want to exclude iron and 90% of finnish pulltabs I first notch out the foil range and then turn the disc to 32.This way I have iron discriminated, 16-25 (thin gold rings) included and 26-32 (most finnish soda can pulltabs) discriminated. This works pretty well in parks with loads of pulltabs. Of course I miss some gold rings as well on 30 ID range but for the sake of my sanity it is better to discriminate that load of pulltabs people leave behind.

HH,

patti

this is true weather notching or increasing Disc. Some machines suffer less from this effect than others......but it affects all machines.
Also...when I've used notch systems...the performance loss when notching seems to tend to be the same as a disc setting = to the highest notch segment.
Consider this...................
That penny you notched out may have been a worn barber dime.................and that pull tab may have been a real nice gold ring. Running lower disc settings not only recovers more desireable targets, it also lets you remove shallower undesireable targets masking deeper good ones! I try to remove all targets in a given area..............ESPECIALLY if its a site I frequent often. Why have to listen to it more than once?? LOTS of those targets you dont want to dig (or you machine tells you you dont want to dig) are actually really nice finds. I remember YEARS ago after depleting all the silver and coins in a few fantastic yards I detected in (in those days a 40 or 50 silver coin day was not uncommon) I started to dig all those "crappy" targets that didnt ID as good ones. Let me tell you..thats when the real COOL stuff started coming out of the ground.
I know this didnt exactly answer your question...but its the best answer I can give you. Short answer to your question is that minimal disc (to get rid of iron and small foil).....is always better than notching IMHO.
If i were designing a machine it wouldnt even HAVE notching.............

I use both methods, just depends on what I feel works best for the conditions at a particular spot. Anytime you disc either method you will loose targets, some good, some not.

crusher28 said:
Depends on what you are hunting for. I run disc at the min just for the tones and I don't like going above that or notching because you'll get stuff that bounces around and I like to here that rather than chasing ghosts.

patti said:
For example if I want to exclude iron and 90% of finnish pulltabs I first notch out the foil range and then turn the disc to 32.This way I have iron discriminated, 16-25 (thin gold rings)

patti

Do gold chains come in lower than 16? What is the lowest tid that small gold items tend to come in at?
James

kai_gold said:
Do gold chains come in lower than 16? What is the lowest tid that small gold items tend to come in at?
James

The lowest gold numbers that I have seen on my F5 are 21-22 on a real thin gold ring.

HH,

patti