Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F5 thought process begun

JoeL0

I have had a couple detectors in the past and right now just swing a Tesoro Silver Umax. Happy with the Umax but, want to add another machine with a display.
It really is tough. "

I want a machine that goes deep."

That's what I keep telling myself. But, now I keep wondering, what is deep and why.

Why are so many who shop for a detector only concerned with that word "DEEP" I am trying Not to be.

I want a detector that is reliable, gets good depth, displays finds as good as a detector can, discriminates well, is
user friendly and light to swing.

Listen to folks with Pro's and Con's about different machines and that's helpful but, its seems most come down to the word again "DEEP", people are concerned with it.

So I guess I will ask this question, why are we concerned with depth on a detector? Most give decent depth right?

Oh well, just my thoughts on the "choose a new detector" I have decided on the F5. Thanks to many of you here in helping with this decision.

Right with you.
I had a Vaquero but I wanted a backup/take on vacation detector that was cheaper yet still worked well with a screen just for fun and in case I lent it to a guest.
I went for an F2 and was shocked at how fun it was, how well it worked and how much it has found for me so I still use it in heavy rotation with my Vaq and Compadre to this day.
As much as I don't really need a screen, it is fun to have and does come in handy from time to time and I have learned to use that extra information it gives me to my best advantage.
Now I am itching for a new one so I am considering an F75 because I like how light the Fisher's are, the tones that come out of them and how well they work.
Depth is something to consider with my choice of a new one because this year I want to make a sincere effort to hit some older sites that might just have some of that real deep silver and relics I see others find and I would like the very best chance possible to find them, but honestly depth has never really been a big issue with me.
I hunted for almost 2 years in Birmingham Al. where the soil was so bad that anything past 3" was considered a gift, and even here in my new home in Kansas with great soil even my Compadre and F2 can get close to 8".
As mostly a jewelry hunter up till now I can tell you I have found more than my share of gold rings and silver jewelry along with many other cool things like some rare tokens and some silver coins and older Indian heads, and NONE of them were found more than 5" deep...most 4" or less.
Enjoying your swinging time with a detector that has a language you can learn that can ID targets correctly more often than not is more important to a guy like me and the way I hunt.
The F5, F70 or the F75 are all units I have considered and I think I would do well with any of them, but since I recently found a gold and diamond ring that is probably worth over $1000, (with the F2), why not go for the top of the line if I can cash in and sell it is my current thinking.
I would be proud to swing an F5 if that is your choice, and considering how it works and what it can find it would be a great and fun addition to your growing arsenal, and depth should be deep enough to be a non issue.

Having used many detectors over the years as far as detectors go F5 is an excellent ID unit which fits what your looking for with large screen in a lightweight package with many usable facets and in my neck of the woods perhaps 8 inch depth and is my choice for an accurate ID unit..
As far as depth goes depends on your neck of the woods relative depth and we do have areas where I have gotten more than one 11-12 inch silver dime with my CZ but of course not the precise ID meter reading...I guess one detector won't do it all but an F5 with CZ depth would sell like hotcakes...

Joe,
I had the same questions as you. Did some research and decided to go with the F5. I won't have it for a week or two. Just ordered it, but I am looking forward to reading how you do with it. I will post my results as well.
HH
Pastor Bob/Nebraska

JoeL0 said:
Thanks all. F5 it is.

Be sure to download the manual Sven put together of Mike Hollis's advice.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,1692558,1692648#msg-1692648

JoeL0 said:
I have had a couple detectors in the past and right now just swing a Tesoro Silver Umax. Happy with the Umax but, want to add another machine with a display.
It really is tough. "

I want a machine that goes deep."

That's what I keep telling myself. But, now I keep wondering, what is deep and why.

Why are so many who shop for a detector only concerned with that word "DEEP" I am trying Not to be.

I want a detector that is reliable, gets good depth, displays finds as good as a detector can, discriminates well, is
user friendly and light to swing.

Listen to folks with Pro's and Con's about different machines and that's helpful but, its seems most come down to the word again "DEEP", people are concerned with it.

So I guess I will ask this question, why are we concerned with depth on a detector? Most give decent depth right?

Oh well, just my thoughts on the "choose a new detector" I have decided on the F5. Thanks to many of you here in helping with this decision.

Well, deep means different things to different people.
When I say deep I mean that the detector needs to be able to reach (hit targets) at a known depth that I hunt at. The example of that is our local city park, I know the beaver tail pull rings run 3" to near 4-1/2" and I also know that dates that range to 1965 to 1975 when those tabs were in use. Well, the park has been a park sense the 1920's and that means that the good stuff that was lost before 1965 is for the most part beyond the 5" range. So for me a detector that is only good to 6" isn't going to do me any good, so for me I need it to make at lest the 7" to 8" range. So when I get a detector if it won't hit my 8" test garden then its not a keeper.
Late this past year I found a 1896 quarter in the park with my Omega and it was down at lest to the 7" to 8" range, I'm pretty sure that's where the 1920 stuff is at. (it actually hit on the quarter pretty good, and ID it well enough to not want to leave it)
My Omega, is deep (well as deep as I'm looking for)
My Coinstrike is deep (as I need).
ect....

Mark

I bought an F5 a few months ago to complement the Omega, which in my opinion is as good as any detector on the market. The F5 has not disappointment me and has proven to be as capable as the Omega, which is saying a lot. For the best depth the 11" DD coil is a necessary option.

I was thinking about getting a F5 to cmpliment my Etrac