Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F70 and Notching....Need some help.

minnixb

I've been using the F70 for almost 2 years now and have enjoyed using it. But, I'm still learning the machine. I'm a little confused about the notch feature. My set up includes notching out iron; however, I also adjust the discrimination between 1 up to 20. Here's my question. If I notch out iron but still turn discrimination up (i.e. 15), have I indirectly notched iron back in?

minnixb said:
If I notch out iron but still turn discrimination up (i.e. 15), have I indirectly notched iron back in?

Yes, I believe you have. It's a bit confusing, for sure.

Yes.
If your disc is low, any number in the sections above it will notch that entire section out.
If your disc is high, any numbers notched in that same section or any section below will be notched in.

So, if I want to notch out iron, I need to keep the discrimination at 0 or at least keep it within the iron range? Once I increase discrimination into the foil range then I have notched iron back in?

If you overlap notch and disc, it comes back in. If you want only iron out, why not just disc it out?

I wrote this a year or so ago to help another guy having some trouble understanding notching, so some of the wording may be directed to him. Please overlook that and pick through the info below and see if helps.

Ron in WV

I will start out by answering a couple of the main questions that may get some off track.
Disc out= items that should no longer be detected.
Disc in= items that should be detected.
Notch out= items that should no longer be detected.
Notch in= items that should be detected.

Now one way to think of notch and disc are that they are somewhat the same being they setup the items to either be disc in or out.
If you only have disc you only have the option to run it up or down until you take out what you don

minnixb said:
I've been using the F70 for almost 2 years now and have enjoyed using it. But, I'm still learning the machine. I'm a little confused about the notch feature. My set up includes notching out iron; however, I also adjust the discrimination between 1 up to 20. Here's my question. If I notch out iron but still turn discrimination up (i.e. 15), have I indirectly notched iron back in?

Something else you might not know.
From Rocket Tom...He talks about the small coil but this process affects the other coils also.
This would be with notch at 1 or in actuality no notch.

In all of my real-world evaluation(s) of the F75 SE........... the most pronounced effects are with the 5" DD coil..... and in any of the 'boost process' modes (ie 'bp' or 'cl').

A additional sensitivity enhancement/boost program is employed when Disc is set at '4' (and lower). With a more rational Disc setting of '5' ...... the sensitivity is returned back to normal levels. When Disc is above '20' ..... due/because a lot of chatter is reduced......... this allows for the sensitivity enhancement/boost program to be employed again. There is justification for this engineering intent. Most folks would not understand this rationale ...... or even know it exists; yet, Dave Johnson is on top of engineering attributes that many would never have reason to think thereof. There's plenty of other attributes within the programming logic of the T2/F75 architect that are 'behind-the-scenes' ....... and most folks may never discover it. What's (underlying) is............ as you become more of a seasoned detectorist and delve into the 'professional treasure hunter' category..... then (and only then) do you start to become more 'demanding' of your unit...... with additional required performance/programming ........................................................ only to discover ............................. these things have already been 'thought' out................... AND are employed in the detector. This is called 'forward thinking'.

Most times I set my disc at 4 or below and in rare cases always over 20 when using higher disc because of this effect.
Also, in the rare times I do use notch I always do a reset to get back to factory settings when reverting and re-setting to my normal hunting specs.
Because of the confusing nature of the way notch works I once hunted for several minutes with settings I thought had deleted that notch and had notched iron back in but didn't.
Take a few seconds to do a reset and then you are assured everything is back to normal and then you can go from there.

Zip, Zoom! right over my head! :rofl:

To understand the depths of the circuitry of a 70 or 75 is indeed a challenge....just to master the tones alone would take a fellow years, let alone notch and thresh and all...all a guy really needs to start finding stuff is a basic understanding, comfortable at first, (the factory reset) then can progress further into the settings if the situation dictates, and feature function understanding enlarges..settle on a tone preference and work what settings seem to provide the finds in a given area. ...I will say, for me, over all of the rest of the settings, its been the DP tones that have snapped this thing into life..

Keep experimenting and posting any and all observations..we are learning through this together thats for sure...definitely a rig that can keep a guys attention for a long time..
Mud.

Notch is the exact opposite of discrimination...

If you run 15 disc and set notch for any numbers under that it will notch in..if you set disc at 0 notch will notch in any numbers above that. Remember notch has a set amount of numbers in settings.

much simpler on the f2, but for a good example on the f 70 would be if you only wanted to hunt coins.......

disc would be 65 as high as it will go and then notch 20-30 back in so you can still find nickels..

disc is saying only find things that read above 65 and nothing below

Notch is over riding the disc for what every # you want to come back in.