Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

f70 concern with overloading.

Trailduster

So.

I'm out md'ing the other day and my f70 got the overload signal on a soda can of all things.

Then I get to thinking,,,if by chance I was to ever come across the white whale/holy grail of detectorists, the infamous cache of coins, what good is having such a sensitive machine if I pass over such a treasure thinking it is something I don't want to dig up?

Try not to think too much about all the targets you never dig, or else, dig them all.:rofl: I think a lot of Halfs get passed over, on your 70 they will hit hard at 92.
When I was new and dug everything, I hit a large signal at the base of a tree in the woods that was one of those metal cigar tins with 7 wheats in it...looking back I guess it could have held silver or gold coins I suppose.:rofl: Maybe in a certain location like behind an old house right under the old apple tree a cache is a possibility and in others it isn't.
Mud

Trailduster you ask questions that can't be answered by common man. You will have to seek out the all wise "Marjory The Trash Heap" for those kind of answers. :rofl:
That question can be answered by having a screw driver with you. You can mark your targets with it or when you get overload you can probe around in the ground to see how deep and big the target is. If you can't hit it with the probe it is probably deep and big. Of course it could be a bar of gold though?? My thought on it is I will never dig it all so accept it... F70 is a great detector... Happy Trails....Z

Don't get me wrong Zee. I love my f70 it just really surprised me that such a common and not so big item would give me the pac man overload signal.

Mud, I always get all giddy when I get a hit in the low 90's. Most times it's aluminum slaw or a copper pipe....but one time...it was a '42 walker.

Had an 89 one way and a 92 the other way once that turned out to be 2 clad quarters in the same hole:happy: Wasn't a silver ring but better than can slaw.

i ve used the 70 and the 75ltd, The only thing i get from the overload is that the object is probably shallow and or large (and even deep). Silver halves, of which Ive gotten probably 10 or so, will overload yes if shallow, but also if you raise your coil some, study them, they will have definite well defined boundaries, and very crisp announcements with the numbers discussed above. Practice with some even on top of the ground, you have to get used to on your machine, how it defines perhaps a large coin. Silver halves if deep will not overload. They will excite you with intense, crisp auditory announcements. I usually gently probe with a screwdriver or whatever, you'd be surprised how sometimes theres like a piece of sheet metal or flashing there somewhat shallow, and its obvious from the probing it cant be a coin, as you poke and it stops consistently at the same depth ,its just too wide, so it cant be a coin. And of course it will have that dull tap sound. Dont forget too the dreaded orange dirt that shows up, when your dealing with some large rusted iron shallow object. So i dont just ignore the overload, I usually check it out some, but perhaps my mistake, have on just a few occasions walked away from some i think might be a sewer cover, or water main etc. I know up north here Im probably not gonna miss a deep cannon, by not digging a huge deep object, but like in the woods at old cellar holes will find axe heads, shoes, iron pots etc like that blast with a big deep overload. Good Hunts All, CO