Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F70 takes a walk in the park

pescadore

I received my permit to metal detect in some San Antonio parks and today was my first outing. The regulations in the parks are very restrictive and you are not allowed any digging tools. When I asked what was considered a digging tool the answer I received was very vague. I took a tool I bought from Walmart that was a forked instrument made to pull car door panels. Finds were limited and the park was extremely trashy. The 10 inch elliptical worked well even in the trash because the F70 has a very fast processor. Finds were all 4 inches or less deep.
3 Q
3 D
1N
9 P
Tiny charm of some kind with a clear stone. It appears to be filled with a resin of some kind and not sure what it's made of.
The F70 is very sensitive to small targets.

You did pretty well. Nice bunch of finds! But how in the world are you supposed to retrieve targets without a digging tool?
You could use a screw driver I guess for shallow targets.

Tired Rooster said:
You did pretty well. Nice bunch of finds! But how in the world are you supposed to retrieve targets without a digging tool?
You could use a screw driver I guess for shallow targets.
That was my thoughts exactly. I am attending the San Antonio MDing Club meeting this month and going to get the advice of members.

God on the nice pile of coins. I don't that that 10" concentric coil for my F 75, but keep threatening to get on. I have it on My Omega 8000 and its the only coil I have and use on it. And it works very good in trash.

Funny on the park hunting. We have a "no digging" law for our parks here, too. I was told by Park Rangers I could metal detect all I wanted, but I just couldn't dig and disrupt the ground. And if I did find something of value, it would have to be turned in to the City Treasured/Clerk. I have used a small screw driver, though, and seen by a lady Ranger that just smiled and waved at me. (twice) I do pick early mornings and days when little activity is occurring. HH jim tn

jim tn said:
God on the nice pile of coins. I don't that that 10" concentric coil for my F 75, but keep threatening to get on. I have it on My Omega 8000 and its the only coil I have and use on it. And it works very good in trash.

Funny on the park hunting. We have a "no digging" law for our parks here, too. I was told by Park Rangers I could metal detect all I wanted, but I just couldn't dig and disrupt the ground. And if I did find something of value, it would have to be turned in to the City Treasured/Clerk. I have used a small screw driver, though, and seen by a lady Ranger that just smiled and waved at me. (twice) I do pick early mornings and days when little activity is occurring. HH jim tn

Thanks, Your park rules sound more restrictive than ours. It just stinks !!!!!!

Fortunately, once I get out of this suburb I am good to go for disturbing ground a little. HH jim tn

Try using a pocket knife to flip up a plug or to cut a slit in the ground and poke around in the cut, won't leave any real trace of digging that way, just remember to put any dirt on a bandana or something

David53 said:
You can always hunt probably hassle free at Cayon Lake.

I have been in contact with the Corp of Engineers and they told me that metal detecting was only allowed on swimming beaches during times they are open and around the boat ramps. Unfortunately, the swimming beaches will not open back up until April. I have a boat ramp up the street from my residence and plan to check it out this week. Summer should be fun and hopefully I can pick up a water detector by then.

Several years ago I went to a state park that is near me, the largest one in the state.
The rules are they only permit metal detecting at the one small swimming beach they have next to one of the many lakes.
The main office is right next to this lake area and I went in to talk to the people there to see if this really was the only place to hunt and ended up talking to the head ranger of the whole park.
Nice guy.
He told me that was the rule but in reality he really didn't care where I hunted as long as I didn't wreck up the place with my digging.
I went from being able to hunt just this one small beach site to permission to hunt 9,940 acres.
Of course common sense says I probably should stay away from digging on the golf course and places like that but that still leaves thousands of acres available to me.

I don't go in there a whole lot because this is one place you have to pay to get in but I get a senior discount and I haven't been there a few times and always came away with at least enough clad to cover that fee.
Also on that beach in the sand is where I found my very first gold ring and I found my first few silver coins in the dirt right outside that main park office.

I will go back again, this place is pretty old going back to the 20's with several structures built around it by the WPA back in the 30's.
Just have to find that one nice hot spot for old coins some day and it is a beautiful park so always a pleasure spending time here.